Facing large columns

jds10011

I'm sure this is answered somewhere and I'm not using the right keywords. Apologies.

We're constructing some very large columns (several feet in diameter). We'd like to face them with something other than muslin (or, of course, cardboard) so that they could withstand at least someone clumsily knocking into them (who on stage would ever do such a thing?). One option has been corrugated plastic (as for temporary signs), but it is currently running $30 for a 4x8 sheet locally. I can use lauan or masonite, but they don't seem to really want to be in that shape, and I don't really want to soak them or use small pieces and overlap, etc. I once used a material that reminded me of fake tile flooring (floppy, came on a giant roll). Does someone know the name of such material or have a better suggestion? I went to the big box stores without luck, although the material they were using for signage seemed perfect but was not itself sold in the store (and they had no idea where it came from). We do have to paint the material, of course.

Thanks!

Bendable plywood aka whacky wood is the solution. But it might not be budget friendly if the $30 per sheet of plastic is to much.

Provided you've got enough structure behind it, 1.5mm sintra (1/16" foamed pvc sheet) will take and hold about any radius you push it into. Its paintable and already a smooth surface, so you won't have to deal with all the splits and cracks in bendy ply grain. I have no idea what we pay for it. I'll look it up and edit this...

If you can find it, Upson Board used to be my material of choice. If not hat then 1/8" Maso. If it fit's you design needs I have had GREAT success with wrapping a piece of Sono-tube with cheap vinyl flooring. You put the 'good' side towards the tube. The back of of vinyl flooring makes a fantastic paint surface! and you can do a marble treatment on it while its flat on the ground then cover the column.

I don't know how you are building these and if they need to support more than themselves. Large sonotube seems pricey ($200 for q 30" d X 12') butthat wrapped with muslin would not be bad. If you're building an armature - perhaps vertical every 6 to 12" around a disc - hard to beat hardboard or 1/8" ply. Lot of work and hardboard/ply - so maybe sonotube isn't so pricey.

I don't know how you are building these and if they need to support more than themselves. Large sonotube seems pricey ($200 for q 30" d X 12') butthat wrapped with muslin would not be bad. If you're building an armature - perhaps vertical every 6 to 12" around a disc - hard to beat hardboard or 1/8" ply. Lot of work and hardboard/ply - so maybe sonotube isn't so pricey.
The biggest Issue with Sonotube is the spiral seam. Muslin, ram-board, anything thin will allow that seam to show through. It's not the gap that shows it a hump that is made right where the two sides join. Was working a commercial shoot for 'Kobalt' tools when the columns showed up they had these big spirals on them. They looked more like Culvert than Columns. The fix was the addition of the vinyl , with the seam away from the camera <up stage side>.
That the only other big issue with Sono-Tube. You have to staple to it. don't expect anything to glue to it. The wax coating is there as a release agent for concrete and it works!

You'd have to check Locally for pricing $200 for 36"X 12' sounds a bit high to me but then you are not spending labor time constructing wooden frames and a huge skeleton.

Get the cheapest "sheet vinyl" flooring you can find at the usual home improvement stores or discount stores. Comes off a 12' wide roll. Turn inside out. Stiff enough to cover minor irregularities but flexible enough to conform to reasonable diameters.

The biggest Issue with Sonotube is the spiral seam. Muslin, ram-board, anything thin will allow that seam to show through. It's not the gap that shows it a hump that is made right where the two sides join.

I've spent many hours with a belt sander taking those ridges off.

^^^ This, but with a vinyl wrap. They can print any color/pattern you like. Pricey, but the labor savings -- and the fact that these columns will be reusable for a long time -- may offset the initial cost. M

1/8" maso/hardboard is probably going to be your cheapest option. If your local big-box hardware doesn't stock it, they can order it. Prices fluctuate a bit, but when I ordered it a few months ago, it was about $9/sheet. Very easy to work with, can be painted, stapled, glued, etc, and has a nice smooth surface.

I'm assuming you want it to be flat, but if you're looking for a fluted look, I've ripped 1.5" PVC in half length-wise and secured it to a frame concave side out to make a really nice looking, sturdy "classical" looking column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back