Fake Pancakes and Rhubarb Pie

jcuempire

Hello all.

Does anyone have any experience with making prop food? Namely a stack of pancakes and a rhubarb pie. Our costume person told me last night to use "Great Stuff" sealer between two Styrofoam plates to make pancakes, but I have never done either.

Does anyone have any ideas to try?

Thanks

My first instinct for the pancakes would be to get foam insulation board, cut it to the right round-ish size, sand it down to the right thickness, and then sand the edges. For syrup, maybe try some clear gel glue tinted brown.

For the pie, I would start with a pie tin and fill it with great stuff. Let that dry and then cut/sand/whatever the top to the proper lumpiness. For a top crust, I'd try modelling clay rolled out with a rolling pin and then draped over the top in whatever style of crust you want - you could probably even do a lattice fairly easily. trim the edges and crimp with a fork. Some paint and you're done.

Thanks, Marshall. I will try the pancakes first. That can be done quickly. I like syrup idea. I will ask the director if that will work for her. Will the modeling clay dry and stay in place? Or do I glue it down? I have never eaten rhubarb pie but I think the filling is reddish in color. Thanks for your help

proxy.php

http://chrysalisherbs.com/newsletter/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/rhubabr-pie.jpg
What DID we do before Google images?

Just make a real one for every show! Much tastier! Then you can even have the actor eat it on stage!
I can probably make a tastier pie using 'Great Stuff' then I can with rhubarb :D (crap, I just realized that the microwave is broken and my wife is leaving town for three days..... good thing pizza hut delivers)

Well, it came out okay. I decided not to cut it down flatter so that it would show up better from the seats. I just have to paint the "crust" Thanks for you help, everyone!

Attachments

• WP_20140319_002.jpg
    WP_20140319_002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 282

Users who are viewing this thread

Back