Fall Arrest Lanyard Question

http://www.ropeworksgear.com/s.nl/it.A/id.286/.f?sc=2&category=109

If you want to use for industrial climbing, best to buy through an industrial climbing company. I highly recommend what I've linked to above, as long as you have the proper training for use- be it fall protection or rope access.

Anything with the sewn eye on it is meant to, generally, be attached via a 3 stage carabiner. What Footer has linked is also good stuff, but again- you have to know what your intended use is.

Thank you for your input.

I have cancelled that order and will look into the ANSI rated gear.

I think I just got a little excited because it was on sale for 50% off and neglected to look at the actual certifications.

I ordered a harness (Petzl Avao Full Bod) and helmet from Karst and was hoping to get everything from there just to keep it on one order, but I think its more important that it actually stops me in case I fall, so I'll shop elsewhere....

Thanks again!

Thank you for your input.

I have cancelled that order and will look into the ANSI rated gear.

I think I just got a little excited because it was on sale for 50% off and neglected to look at the actual certifications.

I ordered a harness (Petzl Avao Full Bod) and helmet from Karst and was hoping to get everything from there just to keep it on one order, but I think its more important that it actually stops me in case I fall, so I'll shop elsewhere....

Thanks again!

Welcome to the wild wild world of fall protection, ledko. Keep in mind that fall protection and rope access gear and procedures are not necessarily interchangeable, so don't get tripped up on it. Even after you've been neck deep in the use, training, and education of yourself and others on these sort of things, there are always changes, updates, and unfortunately- gray areas. Proceed with caution (pardon the redundancy of that), and if something doesn't feel right, don't do it. Better to take the time to ask and find out if you're right or wrong, than to find out the hard way you were wrong.

:grin:

Miller Safety is a good brand that I have worked with and like.

I don't know what your personal level of knowledge is, but just in case (And for anyone that may read this in the future) I feel the need to say again that proper fall protection training is a critical part of safe work at height. Not just the 5 minutes of "this is how you put your harness, always clip in, now lets go" that a lot of us get, but actual in depth training on the hows and whys like, for example, calculating clear-fall distance and the different situations where a self-retracting lifeline might be preferable over a shock absorbing lanyard. If you have received this training stay safe and may you only return to the ground in a slow and controlled manner at a time of your choosing. If you haven't gotten real, in depth training hopefully you get it before climbing or work within a very constrained set of building specific rules that have been developed by an expert to keep you safe in your workplace.

I can't agree more. I have worked many venues where they have harnesses, but no safe place to tie off.

In my experience the greatest safety device, far better than both hardware and Federal bureaucracies that raise our costs, is that grey matter between one's ears, providing that one keeps it turned on and uses it.

Unfortunately, brains should be also used to know when you don't know something. So many people do not have the proper training to assess a situation to know what is safe. They will make assumptions based on prior non-failures and start making faith decisions on the belief that they are fact. The Federal bureaucracies are a necessity as they will be there to enforce knowledge over beliefs. The hardware will need to fall within those bureaucratic guidelines so that we don't have swindlers masquerading as authorities and that items are properly labeled so that the educated can make informed decisions about what is the proper gear for the situation. The gear is rated after repeated testing. It must be destructively tested in order to understand proper manufacture. There have been too many injuries and deaths as a result of people believing that they are smart enough to know better.

" The Federal bureaucracies are a necessity as they will be there to enforce knowledge over beliefs."
Oh man, Ruin...this is what I've been trying to find! So short, so clear, very much to the point. Can I steal this? I am stealing this.

The idea that knowledge is always better than a belief. A lot of people believe they can catch themselves if they fall off an unprotected edge. But the science gives us the knowledge that, no, you can't.

This made my day. Thanks!

Welcome to the black hole of PFAS. It is such a vast subject you can understand why ANSI E1.39-2015 took just over 5 years to write and publish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back