Fall hazards

Do you and your students use personal fall protection where required in your stage and auditorium?

• Yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't comment

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

BillConnerFASTC

Continuing a theme: I've been asked for assistance with fall protection at a high school. In response, I provided the name and contact for a highly regarded fall protection company to assess, prepare a plan, provide and install equipment, and provide training to the users. My observations are that its rare that faculty, staff, and students in public high schools are trained for and use FPE. For the pole I'm interested in all areas but especially lighting positions - summarizing - where the the space below 42" usually needs to be greater than 19". Or think of a ball 19" in diameter - should not be able to push it off the catwalk and fall to the floor below unless all of of it is at least 42" above the floor of the catwalk.

At my school (private) we had access to fall protection (the harnesses had been borrowed and never replaced, so it was tough to track them down). I never had students in locations or heights where they would have needed it, but I also never personally wore anything either.

Are we talking fall restraint or fall arrest? I'd be concerned that in a high school setting with a constantly rotating cast of people that proper technique would not be consistently followed or taught. I'd also be concerned about the school being diligent in maintaining a rescue plan.. Even professionally it's quite concerning how many places have harnesses and lanyards but no plans on how to reach the person if fall arrest becomes necessary.

Yes. Tied in with a harness. I have seen it used in a couple of high schools and asked for in another. I wanted to see if it was at all common.

I tend to agree that it requires a major commitment in training and culture to make this work in a high school.

What is the choice except compromised lighting? Lighting positions that comply with all guard requirements tend to encourage misuse by leaning and climbing over the guards. And balcony rails are a whole other story, non-OSHA compliant even without lighting position.

I agree constant training would be an issue, especially in lower budget school arts programs. In our catwalk, the pipe itself creates the <19" required. I can't get a picture, but if you can imagine the bottom rail/floor of the catwalk, then pipe, mid-rail, electrical conduit, then top rail, each within the maximum space. The auditorium ceiling is level with the top rail of the catwalk. Leaning or climbing over would not gain any advantage.

I agree constant training would be an issue, especially in lower budget school arts programs. In our catwalk, the pipe itself creates the <19" required. I can't get a picture, but if you can imagine the bottom rail/floor of the catwalk, then pipe, mid-rail, electrical conduit, then top rail, each within the maximum space. The auditorium ceiling is level with the top rail of the catwalk. Leaning or climbing over would not gain any advantage.
And you lights han vertical in 19" space or you have to rooster them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back