fav shotgun mic

What's your fav shotgun mic?
How do you use it?
Ever used an SM89?

In theater, I'm thinking would be handy to reach a small group of actors that aren't bodymic'd or couldn't stick a boundary mic on a table, etc.

works great (with no boom operator) as long as the actors don't move? ;)

well, yeah :^) (ps - we're doing that) just looking for other tools in the bag.

as I've been checking out the shotguns, and curious how that can be used successfully.

so the question behind the question is this:

[1]
eg; We have one scene of 4-5 actors close together, not moving around much, on an uneven set with palm trees, fake grass, etc.

and was curious (yes, reading the mic specs now) as to the spread a shotgun mic on a 1' [guitar amp] mic stand would pic up say 15-20 feet away to catch all of them (5-7' max width of the group), perhaps avoid the floor noise of a typical boundary mic.

I know a lot of mic technique is trial and error, may play with it during rehersals.

Just curious others thoughts/experiences along these lines.

[2]
on a similar note, has anyone put a boundary mic or guitar mic stand on a soft neoprene mousepad, etc to try and reduce floor noise/vibrations? I asked another engineer friend if putting a boundary mic on a 1/4" elevation would break the boundary effect, he said it would somewhat for some frequencies but not for the voice range I was interested in?

(esp if it was a newer Shure PZM with the built-in plate - put the whole thing on a pad - badda bing.)

cheers

We have used some Audio technica 60 degree shotguns just for this. We mounted them to the floor at the front of the stage and aimed them upstage. Used along with our boundary mics they gave us an addition 10-12 of acceptable range for the actors in this particular show.

Not the ideal situation but when push came to shove, it worked..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back