Favorite FOH console for live sound festival applications

I was thinking about this thread today. If I am going to be outside with no tent then I certainly want analog. If you can't read the screen you can't control a digital board. If you are in a tent or building then certainly digital is great.

If your outside in the sun... your going to be dead by the end of the day so the console you die on is moot....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If your outside in the sun... your going to be dead by the end of the day so the console you die on is moot....
You've been in NY long enough to know that the coldest days are very sunny days. One of the brightest, sunniest days that I recall was when I was out doing field surveys for strand mapping for a cable company and the wind chill that day was -75F, so you might be dead by the end of the day, we lasted a couple of hours before giving up, but probably not as you meant. You can't really equate it being sunny with a particular temperature and being able to read the screens can be a very real issue with some digital consoles.

Somewhat related, I once demoed several digital consoles for a Client where one of the their participants was blue-green color blind and he really struggled with some of the consoles. Lit versus not lit buttons and LEDs he could usually discern and some colors he saw much better than others but shades and combinations of blue, green and gray were very difficult for him to differentiate. The Avid Venue Profile's gray on gray controls, light green on gray LEDs and muted blue/gray/green color scheme screens that many may like made it just about impossible for him to use even in controlled lighting. Because on many of my projects there is no knowing who may be mixing, that experience has stuck with me and is something I consider in those situations.

And so many bands and BEs have familiarity with and/or files for Cadac and LCS, which are both well known in the theatre sound world but not at all common in the live sound world.

As Kyle noted earlier, a festival application is likely to be more about it being easy and simple than it is about absolute quality. There are some things to be said for a Yamaha PM or A&H GL in the analog world and Yamaha LS9/M7CL/PM5D or Avid Venue in the digital world for destival type applications as people are more likely to have worked with them. If you are not concerned about rider compliance or others operating the console then chances are you won't be getting show files or charts and you should probably focus on whatever is most comfortable for you.

First, I'll take the X32 I have onstage right now for monitor over the M7 any day just due to how it does sends on fader.

and... AVID is quickly becoming that. Most guys who were stuck on analog did not jump away from analog until the Digi stuff really took off... even then some waited until Digico to jump. Right now people are dumping the AVID stuff to go with either Digico or the new Midas digital stuff... so, this market is every changing.

And if we are in total fairy land, the best sounding digital console I have heard on the PA I know besides an XL4 is an SD7. So, SD7. I don't know how to run one... nor do most people but what the hell, right? There is a reason that Clair is trying to get rid of all of their AVID stuff in favor of Digico.

I love my X32 and we are going to get a Producer when they ship in April. We do mostly festival work so the bands usually are working on better equipment than they ever have and we take control of the whole set from load in to load out. We direct the musicians and have also been able to stay pretty consistent with 15 minute stage turnovers. We were recently asked to bid a rider gig and I decided I would rent an SC48 for the rider acts, split the snake at the stage and let them run that console while we A) run CAT5 from the X32 on stage (monitors) to the Producer at FOH with a PC, or B) just run the PC wirelessly out front (like I do at most of my club gigs) and I will handle all the local acts from my gear. The X32 should gain some recogniton as a perfectly acceptable monitor console and except for lack of enough channels, a great little FOH board.

Waverunr - First and foremost, welcome to Control Booth! It seems that you do exactly the type of work where the X32 will shine. Although, I do not agree about it becoming a rider acceptable console, either for monitors or FOH. Back when I was touring as a BE I didn't have many specific requests, but rather what was NOT acceptable. Behringer and Mackie were specifically stated in the rider as UNACCEPTABLE gear. Consoles, outboard, graphic EQ ... And not necessarily because it's ALL crap, (I'll take a Behringer Comp/Gate over an ACP88 any day) but it's to weed out the lower end sound companies and/or venues. If they're using a Eurodesk chances are the rest of the PA is going to be on par (or worse). If it's a Heritage 3000 or PM5D then I know the rest of the rig is going to be of decent quality as well.

So, as far as the X32 being on riders any time soon, I just don't see it happening. It certainly won't be on any of mine, even though I like the console and plan on buying some of the new varieties once they finally start shipping.

Oh yeah, about using only the iPad at a festival... If you're dealing with riders then you'll probably have band engineers. They will require a physical console and not be too thrilled if you hand them an iPad. If you're already renting an SC48 you might as well just get another. Or if you must use the X32 put it on monitors. Most of the time if the band is only carrying one engineer it will be FOH and you'll be the one mixing monitors all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back