Favorite FOH console for live sound festival applications

tk2k

Background: This is a mostly theoretical thread, 64 channels, separate monitor console.
What's your favorite console to mix FOH for a live setting, with several bands and limited sound checks? What do you find has the best workflow?

Being a festival, you want gear guys know. If you have to train anyone on the gear, it should not be there. Therefore, in analog world your choice is basically a Heritage 3k w/ DN360's, DBX or BSS Comps, Drawmer gates, Yamaha SPX, D-two, PCM 81, PCM 91, and XTA or Lake processing.

Now, in real world, these days you would never run a festival analog. Therefore, the only answer is an AVID Venue D-Show simply because EVERYONE has a showfile for one, especially by the end of the summer.

I would think a M7 would fit the "Everyone knows how to use it" criteria well. At least for monitors.

Footer,

To clarify, I mean in a situation where you, or your crew is mixing, and everyone magically had show files.

I would think a M7 would fit the "Everyone knows how to use it" criteria well. At least for monitors.

First, I'll take the X32 I have onstage right now for monitor over the M7 any day just due to how it does sends on fader.

and... AVID is quickly becoming that. Most guys who were stuck on analog did not jump away from analog until the Digi stuff really took off... even then some waited until Digico to jump. Right now people are dumping the AVID stuff to go with either Digico or the new Midas digital stuff... so, this market is every changing.

And if we are in total fairy land, the best sounding digital console I have heard on the PA I know besides an XL4 is an SD7. So, SD7. I don't know how to run one... nor do most people but what the hell, right? There is a reason that Clair is trying to get rid of all of their AVID stuff in favor of Digico.

I still prefer an analog console in festival and monitor situations. I can glance at the entire console and see every single adjustment made to each channel in a split second. I love digitals when I only have one band and have time to soundcheck. Some of my favorite analog consoles are Midas Legend 3000, Soundcraft MH3, Heritage 3000...

I don't mix shows but I see festivals run both digital and analog. I did a festival last year where the company supplied all digital boards. The main stage had two, one for the house, one for monitors. The monitor guy didn't know the board very well and spent the whole time struggling. The secondary stage only had one board and mixed monitors from FOH. That guy had no idea and periodically lost his monitor rig. It was an awful experience and needless to say they were taken off the bid list.

I still prefer an analog console in festival and monitor situations. I can glance at the entire console and see every single adjustment made to each channel in a split second. I love digitals when I only have one band and have time to soundcheck. Some of my favorite analog consoles are Midas Legend 3000, Soundcraft MH3, Heritage 3000...

If you are running a festival where band checks.... band plays... stage turns over... band checks... etc analog is the way to go. However, if it is an everyone checks in the morning thing and you have 6 bands in 240 minutes, then digital is the only way to go. Trying to fit each band into 16-20 channels can be nearly impossible and sharing channels makes doing monitors nearly impossible.

So, as with everything in this industry, it all depends on what you are trying achieve.

If you are running a festival where band checks.... band plays... stage turns over... band checks... etc analog is the way to go. However, if it is an everyone checks in the morning thing and you have 6 bands in 240 minutes, then digital is the only way to go. Trying to fit each band into 16-20 channels can be nearly impossible and sharing channels makes doing monitors nearly impossible.

So, as with everything in this industry, it all depends on what you are trying achieve.
Valid point, most festivals I do are set,check, play and leave. The important thing, especially with digital, is to have qualified guys to run it.

I completely agree. Although, to me the definition of a "festival" is that there is no soundcheck. If there is then it becomes a "show." Just because it's outside and multiple bands it's not really a festival in the sense of a "festival patch" and only quick line checks seconds before the act goes on. At least, that's how I perceive a festival.

To clarify, I mean in a situation where you, or your crew is mixing, and everyone magically had show files.
I generally associate a show file with a BE, is it realistic to expect many bands requiring 64 inputs and having show files to not also have their own BEs handling the mixing?

I completely agree. Although, to me the definition of a "festival" is that there is no soundcheck. If there is then it becomes a "show." Just because it's outside and multiple bands it's not really a festival in the sense of a "festival patch" and only quick line checks seconds before the act goes on. At least, that's how I perceive a festival.
I do tons of festivals and although you don't do formal sound checks, you still go through the monitors and check them. As you go your house guy sets levels in the house. Then you fly and figure it out. I generally build 30 minutes to change band gear and set monitors.

I do tons of festivals and although you don't do formal sound checks, you still go through the monitors and check them. As you go your house guy sets levels in the house. Then you fly and figure it out. I generally build 30 minutes to change band gear and set monitors.

Yep, typically referred to as a "line check." 30 minutes is a decent amount of time but it's usually far more than I ever get. Typically I'll have about 10 minutes between acts, so just getting gear on/off is tough to do, much less get any sort of line check. Monitor-wise, it's vocals only unless someone needs something specific (acoustic, keys, etc). During changeover those channels get reset to zero to be ready for different instrumentation and mixes.

I work with a sound company that excels at walking bands through their monitors. As they check each mic or input he asks through the monitors who needs it. No answer it doesn't go in their mix. He is quite good at the five minute monitor check. Other guys let the band lead the check and it takes forever or it doesn't get done. As the stage manager I am there pushing them to get done.

I would say that I would like to use either a PM1D for front of house, or a Cadac J-Type. Monitors would probably be an M7 for its compatibility, and the layout. If the sky is the limit, I would use a LCS.

I was thinking about this thread today. If I am going to be outside with no tent then I certainly want analog. If you can't read the screen you can't control a digital board. If you are in a tent or building then certainly digital is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back