FCC order on wireless mics

whaleboat

Was it the FCC order of January 14th , 2010 that made wireless mics operating in the 700 mhz band oficially illegal ? When all this DTV transition stuff first came up I thought my wireless system would be OK if I could avoid certain frequencies . It was my impression I would be able to operate my 700mhz gear , but might encounter interference .

I believe so. The original intention when the allocation happened that eventually the FCC would outlaw 700 MHz wireless mic operation but there was never a firm date. With the most recent info you cited, they established June 12 (I believe) as the date in which all wireless mic users (generally unlicensed) must not use wireless in that band anymore.

As stated above, they will be illegal as of June 12, 2010. Currently, they are legal to operate but if a licensee like Verizon finds you interfering with their operations, you get booted. After June 12, 2010, only mics below 608 MHz will be legal (and yes, they really are /legal/ as they are now temporarily under Part 15 of the Rules).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back