Female PowerCon on a pigtail

SanTai

For starters, I am not sure if pigtail is the right word. On conventional lightning fixtures you usually have short cord with a male end on it. If I call that a pig tail am I using the wrong term?

For the rest of this post(until perhaps edited) I will call that piece of cord with in America probably fitted with a male stage pin, a "pig tail".

I like to use non mating ends for equipment that should never mate. On some of the equipment I would like to have PowerCon, since it does not mate with Schucko. However, today in my inventory there are some equipment that are equiped with a pig tail were I would like to have a PowerCon, power In. Have anyone here seen a good solution for this problem, that does not include always needing an expensive adapter?

I can not be the only one wanting this...

What is your goal in using a powercon connection? Are you just looking to differentiate your line voltage and dimmed cables (which is a great thing to do, by the way)? An L5-20 (for 120v) or L6-20 (for 208/220v) twist lock is a great choice for straight power situations. They're a nice locking plug, and you won't need barrels or adapters if you make all your cable that way, as well. What do you use for your current inventory of power cable?

I believe the short male cord on the fixture is a whip. And the short female on the raceway is a pigtail.

Regardless, clicking the term should tell us!

What is your goal in using a powercon connection? Are you just looking to differentiate your line voltage and dimmed cables (which is a great thing to do, by the way)?

Yes and no. Same concept at least. "Live" and "Signal" line voltage. A lot of commercial confetti shooters, kabukis, stage fans, etc use "power ON" as "signal", they activate when power is applied. Have never had a problem with plugging anything wrong, but since it is mixed from manufacturers it would be nice if possible to use a system that also add an extra layer of show safety. I would hate to by mistake fill a banquet hall with confetti 1 hour before the guests arrive.

An L5-20 (for 120v) or L6-20 (for 208/220v) twist lock is a great choice for straight power situations. They're a nice locking plug, and you won't need barrels or adapters if you make all your cable that way, as well. What do you use for your current inventory of power cable?

I live across the pond. 230V 50Hz land. American plugs would be quite unpractical to use, since we could never hire any extra cable if we needed to.

I know what Ceeform is, you said you didn't want to mate with Schuko which is a different conenctor so I'm asking of cee would work for what you want to do...

I know what Ceeform is, you said you didn't want to mate with Schuko which is a different conenctor so I'm asking of cee would work for what you want to do...

Oh...
Sorry, see that may part about the CEEform got lost.
The CEEform is very large, even the 1 phase(blue) kind. It is locking through the spring in the lid, which is a fragile construction. It works well for feeder cable but not as well(in my experience) for all the small connections everywhere. Since it isn't commonly used it is not used on any of my equipment(not including 3phase equipment).

Is it wrong to add a small box at the end of the whip with a power in and one power out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back