Fiber Patch Bay Opinion

AlexDonkle

Working on a theatre currently that will have a single mode fiber tie line system (in addition to the typical XLR, Cat6 STP, and SDI, etc.). Looking for any feedback people may have on fiber patch bays sizes / spacing that's easy to deal with long term. Currently I'm planning on ST connectors with 24 connectors per RU is the best bet (same spacing as the Cat6 patchbay), but there's also 12 and 16 connectors per RU as well.

I typically spec LC connectors with high density spacing for building IT systems, but personally that's way too small to deal with re-patching on a regular basis.

SC connectors might be another viable option.

I wonder if there's a way of using one of the multi fibre connectors behind the patch panel to cope with the eventual need to replace the patching field when it starts to wear out...

I use LC all the time to repatch things in my space, works fine. Also I have large hands so if I can manage it....

I guess we should clarify is we're talking about patching paired fibres or individual strands?

The wall panels are all OpticalCon with internal LC pairs, however the control room patch panel is individual strands of ST with duplex patch cords, which also some flexibility to route individual strands for broadcasters if they need to (they typically prefer ST). Also felt that standard LC connectors aren't rugged enough to be repeatedly patched and moved on a regular basis (I've heard feedback on other projects with this issue before as well), that's interesting Lextech hasn't had this issues. Currently I have duplex pairs of ST patch cables spec'd, as well as OpticalCon LC to Duplex ST adapter cords.

Lextech, just curious what density of LC connectors do you have in patch panels per RU ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back