Fire procedure

THE FOLLOWING SUGGESTION IS FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY!!! THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS ADVICE OR INSTRUCTION!!! If this is a regular concern for you, you may be able to reach a compromise with the local fire authority and install heat detetector in place of smoke detectors. Completely turning off a fire alarm system is a violation of so many codes (read NFPA 72 for info on fire alarms and NFPA 110 for info on life safty systems as it applies to gathering places and public buildings) and such a leagal liability it should not even be considered. However, using heat detectors would eliminate false alarms from your fog and still maintain coverage of the area in question. THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE TO LOCAL CODES, BY A QUALIFIED FIRE ALRM TECHNICIAN, WITH APPROVAL FROM YOUR LOCAL FIRE MARSHAL, INSURACE CARRIER AND POSSIBLY OTHER PEOPLE. THIS IS DEFINATLY NOT SOMETHING FOR A STUDENT TO DO, AT ALL, PERIOD. EXCLAIMATION POINT!!!!

Luckly for the world, the second a pair of dikes goes near a fire alarm cable and severs anything it goes off. And yes, heat detectors are a great thing, I'm of the feeling install both that way you can still have the smoke detectors but be able to shut them off when you are hazing, turn them back in at the end of the night.

Interesting timing. We just did a bunch of upgrades in our second stage. The Fire inspector is now ordering smoke dectors every 6 feet on the ceiling above the grid. I've suggested that the existing Heat dectoors should be sufficient. we're waiting on a ruling. It really blows me away. this new inspector is new to town, and apparently wants to make a name for himself as a real hardass. he even went so far as to infer that he would require us to sprinkler the entire building. Don't get me wrong, if you've read some of my posts you'll know that I'm very much in favor of fire safety, and have great respect for the inspection process, but for this new guy to walk into a building that has been re-permitted 4 times in the last 5 years, and he's the first one to even hint that the permit wouldn't go through unless the building was sprinkled?
Our building is specifically designed with 4 hour corridors in all the exit ways, we have several times the legally required paths of exit. The parking garages are sprinkled because of the storage of flammables < cars> but it has never been suggested we sprinkle the rest. ....Whew!, Rant over.

Know how you feel Van. Have experienced the same thing with fire marshals/inspectors in the past. Its mainly the new ones that try to get you on every little thing thats wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fire safety too. This is a safety first field of work with so many things that can seriously hurt or kill people. I just hate new fire marshals who try to bust you on every little thing just to make a point that, "Hey, I in charge now and I will bust you on something every time I come in." Don't think I have had a walk through once where a marshal hasn't busted us on something at a couple of different theaters.

A prime example is in my old high school's theater. There was a ladder going up into the ceiling to get to front of house lighting and to change house lights. The fire marshal made us make a steal door to block it. The reasoning being that if a fire started in the ceiling, smoke could come into the booth.

Well, first, if I'm in the ceiling focusing or changing house lights and a fire starts, I don't want to have to fight with a now HOT steal door to get down to safety. Second, right over the light board there is a grate ceiling tile for extra ventilation because with as many as 4 Super Troopers at anytime, it gets extremely hot up there.

So I guess the spot ops by the ladder can't die by smoke inhalation but the sound board and light board ops can? :rolleyes:

New Marshal always wants to be the hard ass.

We had a pyro demonstration once...several local marshals where in attendance...one of which was new to the job (I like to call her the blonde shrew but thats a different story). Anyway the pyro crew was showing off different types of pyro and as a grand finale were going to move outside to set off some sort of Napalm bomb. To which the new marshal freaked and tried to keep the demonstraters from doing. The other more expierenced marshals shrugged gave her dirty looks and said go ahead. (did I mention this was Vegas?)

As a side note...that was the coolest piece of pyro!

We had a pyro demonstration once...several local marshals where in attendance...one of which was new to the job (I like to call her the blonde shrew but thats a different story). Anyway the pyro crew was showing off different types of pyro and as a grand finale were going to move outside to set off some sort of Napalm bomb. To which the new marshal freaked and tried to keep the demonstraters from doing. The other more expierenced marshals shrugged gave her dirty looks and said go ahead. (did I mention this was Vegas?)

Well if it's Vegas I'm surprised you didn't mention the fire marshal was also drunk and half naked. My brother in-law lives there, it's unbelievable sometimes what they call government down there.

Well if it's Vegas I'm surprised you didn't mention the fire marshal was also drunk and half naked. My brother in-law lives there, it's unbelievable sometimes what they call government down there.
Every dept except fire department I'd agree with you.
Nevada has some of the most stringent fire code on the books. Especially with dealing with theatres...that early 80's MGM (now Bally's) fire caused the them to tighten up everything when it comes to fire saftey.

DUDE! I know EXACTLY which fire marshall you're talking about. EVERYbody hates her, 'cause she is like you said, a total hard-***.
I gagged on my milk and cookies when I read your description. Thank you baby Jesus she's not here in SoCal now.
Viva Las Vegas!

Interesting timing. We just did a bunch of upgrades in our second stage. The Fire inspector is now ordering smoke dectors every 6 feet on the ceiling above the grid. I've suggested that the existing Heat dectoors should be sufficient. we're waiting on a ruling. It really blows me away. this new inspector is new to town, and apparently wants to make a name for himself as a real hardass. he even went so far as to infer that he would require us to sprinkler the entire building. Don't get me wrong, if you've read some of my posts you'll know that I'm very much in favor of fire safety, and have great respect for the inspection process, but for this new guy to walk into a building that has been re-permitted 4 times in the last 5 years, and he's the first one to even hint that the permit wouldn't go through unless the building was sprinkled?
Our building is specifically designed with 4 hour corridors in all the exit ways, we have several times the legally required paths of exit. The parking garages are sprinkled because of the storage of flammables < cars> but it has never been suggested we sprinkle the rest. ....Whew!, Rant over.

Van, frustrating as it is, you won't be given an opportunity to not comply. I have been involved with the fire service as both a fireman and an alarm installer. As an installer, I know what a PITA a picky inspector can be, but as a fireman, I have seen what happens when codes are not enforced. For that matter, think of how many deaths we have seen in the last few years at nightclubs around the country when codes were ignored because they were "inconvenient". My advice, grin and bear it. You want to be on an inspectors good side. As he gets to know you and your facility as people who want to be safe and compliant he may loosen up. I've been in some places where inspections are big pissing matches and places like that tend to get shut down. Besides, not only is having a building safer, it may save you bunches on your insurance payments. I had a customer once who saved enough on his insurance payments over a couple of years to cover the cost of the sprinklers. Might be worth looking at.
Best of luck

Van, frustrating as it is, you won't be given an opportunity to not comply. I have been involved with the fire service as both a fireman and an alarm installer. As an installer, I know what a PITA a picky inspector can be, but as a fireman, I have seen what happens when codes are not enforced. For that matter, think of how many deaths we have seen in the last few years at nightclubs around the country when codes were ignored because they were "inconvenient". My advice, grin and bear it. You want to be on an inspectors good side. As he gets to know you and your facility as people who want to be safe and compliant he may loosen up. I've been in some places where inspections are big pissing matches and places like that tend to get shut down. Besides, not only is having a building safer, it may save you bunches on your insurance payments. I had a customer once who saved enough on his insurance payments over a couple of years to cover the cost of the sprinklers. Might be worth looking at.
Best of luck

I understand your point,however, it's not a matrter of complying with codes. We are in compliance. This just the interpretation of a single inspector, who's new. Believe me when I say, I understand fire issues. I've lived through a dorm fire, and was invovled in search and rescue for a long time. It's not a matter public safety, we're more than adequately covere there. It was merely a statement of frustration with one individual, new to the scene and eager to make a name.

"Break the glass, Van!"
"It won't break! Ouch, my hand!"
"Kick it in, Van!"
"It won't break! Ouch, my foot!"
"Get a paratrooper's boot, Van!"
"The boot won't break the glass!"
"Get a chair, smash the glass with a chair, Van!"
"The chair is bouncing off the glass!"
"Let's get out of here!"

Such a great dorm fire story...:twisted: (Unless anyone got hurt, then I retract that statement.)

It is funny, now, and luckily no one got hurt.
Scary at the time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back