Flat needs to fall or tip during show

lwinters630

I am doing a comedy called "break a leg" and the director wants the set to fall over in one scene. Actually actors are supposed to end up not being hit by standing in a open french door. It domino's so the entire livingroom scene falls down. The set needs to be struck mid show. I am considering flying the flat, that way I can just slack the batten and it will appear to tilt because I am not sure I can safely have a flat fall (show after show).

Any Ideas?

Shades of Buster Keaton!!!!! I can't really tell you how to do this especially the "domino effect".
First, because I'm not there to actually design/engineer and check out the rig.
Second, because of First, the liability issue would kill me.

That said, DON"T fly the fall down flat. That leads to so many possible dangers and fail points I can't list them all.

Fasten it (the fall down flat) to the floor with very LARGE strap hinges. Fasten the hinges to the floor with "Improved Stage screws" but use flush inserts rather than the high profile "stage Screws". That way, quick and easy removal is possible, flat folding is possible. The hinges allow the flat to fall, but totally control the path and position of the fall. Think on this for a while then ask me another question.

You'll want to give some thought to which directions things fall, too. As anyone who's ever 'floated' a large old-style theater flat can tell you, they push a lot of air on their way down, and will blow any loose dust for quite a distance. If your falling flat was upcenter, and fell downstage, it would blast the front rows of the audience right in the eyes.

The air-pushing can be reduced by making the flats smaller, or with lots of openings in it, but that reduction in surface area also means that you have less air slowing the fall, and it will fall faster. Up to you and your show if that's good or bad.

Well, for one thing I would strongly lean toward broadway flats rather than hollywood. Lighter weight, so safer, and they float to the ground much more gently. That said, I second Father Murphy's notion that gusts of air and debris may be a safety hazard.

Also, you're going to need pretty strict operating procedures, wherein the operator can fully confirm that the actors are on spike before releasing the mechanism.

I want to echo the danger involved. This is not an easy stunt and your really need to have every last detail worked out before you attempt it.

If this a school production is you might want to call some nearby professional theaters or universities and ask if there is someone willing to help you set it up safely.

Thank you all for your insight:)
I think that having the flats fall fully down is too complex (and dangerous) to attempt for the type of show that this is. Perhaps I can just get the "walls" to tilt or push to give the illusions of domino with out fully falling. As you all have mentioned SAFETY is my #1 priority.

update October 29th, 2012

I ended up building the main wall 14' long by 8' tall that has a french door in the center with 4' sections on either side. Framed as a Hollywood flat with out a skins. trimmed around the top, sides, base, and french door jams. Then inserted a 4'x8'x3/4" foam sheet on either side of the french door and a solid plywood panel above the french door for stability. Jacks (Van's style) were mounted on the back side of the french door at 11" off the floor. A pivot arm with 6" wheel and a weight were at the end of the jacks.

As the line attached to the wheel arm is pulled, the wall tips slightly backwards (upstage away from any actors) and stops allowing the foam to fall out of the frames then safely float to the upstage side of the wall.

Much testing was done to be sure that the wall could only tilt and never fall. The foam was painted with flame retardant as well.

To get the domino effect other walls were on wheels that were pulled out of line giving a full cascade effect to the entire set. To strike the french door wall, a 3'x8' by 11 1/2" high cart was slid under the raised jacks and it rolled off stage very quickly.

We also had to have a door functions sometimes and come off its hinges at one point. I slid the jam side of the hinges into a cleat (like a caster cleat) then put a pin through the back of the jam into the top screw hole on the hinge. When it is time for the door to fall off, the actor pulls the pin and as he opens the door. It slides out of the cleat and ends up in his hands.

Thank you all for you insight on safety considerations which allowed me to give the illusion of a wall falling with out it actually falling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back