Floor Boxes

I have been happy with the boxes on our stage. The audio boxes are thin metal, and vulnerable to crushing (one is), but the power boxes are strong. We run our grand piano over them and have no problems. The main thing is making sure that the crew are careful what they decide to run over the audio boxes. As long as the boxes are out of the way, or have alternate routes around them, there is no problem. They are really nice for our podium setups, and other situations where only one or two cables are needed, instead of having to drag the snake out.

A grand is not the problem. A stienway concert D is around 1000 pounds, so 333 per caster. A shell tower may be 2500 to 5000 so 600 to 1250 per caster. A fork truck fully loaded may be 140000 but most on front two wheels - so 5000 or so. Considering I've seen fork trucks on high schol stages, I just shy away from floor boxes. And all on a floor that is suppose to be kind to ballerinas en pointe.

We have floor box center stage. Guess what is in it? One data output that no one knows what is connected to....... I'm pretty sure it is part of the schools internet system, but the auditorium has wireless. Brand new auditorium that opened three years ago. Couldn't give me something useful in there could you?

We have floor box center stage. Guess what is in it? One data output that no one knows what is connected to....... I'm pretty sure it is part of the schools internet system, but the auditorium has wireless. Brand new auditorium that opened three years ago. Couldn't give me something useful in there could you?
Demo ds me of a project I went to for final checkout and discovered an outlet for a central vacuum system sort of DSL but upstage of PL. Not so bad besides bright chrome in a black floor but it would not seal, so whistled unrelentlessly.

Is there any distinction to be made between a "floor box" and a floor pocket?

Regarding dirt/dust getting into female receptacles: Schuler & Shook used to specify (I'm guessing still do) a rubber strip "hinged" at the top on slanted plates. Very clever!

Is there any distinction to be made between a "floor box" and a floor pocket?

Regarding dirt/dust getting into female receptacles: Schuler & Shook used to specify (I'm guessing still do) a rubber strip "hinged" at the top on slanted plates. Very clever!

Our FP's of 15 years ago were simple electrical raceway style boxes mounted on the underside of the stage floor, independent of the actual pocket cover with its cable slots. The circuits were 3 ft long pigtails passing thru 1" chase nipples with the cable loops in the basement storeroom (and above head height). Thus we could pull out the receptacle to make the connection. These units stayed fairly free of debris. When we renovated we were not able to use this design as the chase nipples meant the fire rating of the floor was voided. Our new 2P&G receptacles need a regular vacume. We usually just t
Gaff tape the pockets to keep dust out.

No actual difference. "Floor box" is typically term used by AV guys, "Floor pocket" is typically used by theatre guys.

As a blended AV/Theatre guy, I can vouch for this. Theatre-specific products tend to be called pockets, and manufacturers for wider industry (IT/AV/Telecom) tend to call them boxes, which are often customizable to whatever on earth you may want to put in them. Google "floor pocket" and you'll find all kinds of products that look to be specifically for theatre (Whirlwind, Lex, etc). Google "floor boxes" and you'll find all kinds of generic stuff under the sun.

"Box" is a much more common term for electrical and telecom contractors as their jobs are focused intently on specifying and providing the correct wall, ceiling, and floor electrical back boxes. Side note: This is so much so that if you find yourself buying an AV installation from anyone who can't speak fluent electrician, run far and run fast for coordination headaches and silly, sometimes expensive change orders are on the horizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back