Flying Platforms

EustaceM

Can you fly in and out platforms, mostly for storage purposes within a production? If yes, then how is it done so they are safe for performers?

Can you, yes. However, it really depends on the how. If your venue has a fly system, it is possible to do fairly easily. It really boils down to though if your landing the platforms so the deck takes the weight of the platforms or if you want the rigging take the weight. Either way, this falls into the category of "if you have to ask, you probably should not be doing it". It can be done though for the right price. To do this right no matter what, your going to want steel decks, new good rigging, and the possibility of renting hoists. Its not going to be cheap, a 5k ballpark is just a beginning in my book.

Are we talking about having people on them while the platforms are flying? I am not clear on that aspectm

If so, wow, that's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

People wont be on top of the platforms when they are going to be flown in.

(On a side note, is it even safe or done with people on top of platforms when the platforms are being flown in)

...(On a side note, is it even safe or done with people on top of platforms when the platforms are being flown in)

For a co-produced production we did a couple of years ago, "Ghosts of Celilo", there were several platforms that flew with folks standing on them. Very specially constructed platforms, and riggin set ups were used, however. So yes it can be done. Not, however, without 'Adult' supervision.

Storing platforms, full scale Model "T" cars, and other large objects overhead in the wings is common practice in Broadway and touring shows. We regularly rent dozens of chain hoists to national tours of Wicked, Lion King, Jersey boys etc just to store scenery above the wings at the Des Moi9nes Civic Center. For this type of use, the scenic units need to be designed and engineered to be lifted in a different axis than used and to be able to handle the stresses of being lifted from horizontal to vertical.

I don't believe the OP was thinking about lifting people but it was brought up. As soon as you include people being lifted with the scenic units, you need to talk to D2 Flying, ZFX, Foy et. al. or get a structural engineer involved and a top of the line scenic studio. I worked for Foy and Disney in the 60's, I know how to fly, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole now. I am a skilled and knowledgeable rigger, but because I "know" how, doesn't mean that I should do it or that I do it every day and that I am up on the equipment and technique advancements that are a constant element of the process.

For a co-produced production we did a couple of years ago, "Ghosts of Celilo", there were several platforms that flew with folks standing on them. Very specially constructed platforms, and riggin set ups were used, however. So yes it can be done. Not, however, without 'Adult' supervision.

Ha Ha! That means What Rigger? is an adult! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back