FNG in need of AV advice!

Cardona

Tomorrow is the first day I step into the Corporate Gig world as an A2.
Starting from scratch, Can anyone till me the first thing - last thing to do when asked to set up a small PA system(Mackie 1402, 4 wireless mic units,(Speakers??)
Just need to know what the first thing I should set up or do to be productive and fast?

Thanks for reading

Wait, so you have no idea what you're doing and someone is going to hand you a pile of equipment and tell you to make sound come out of it? Good luck. Bring a suit/tie for the corporate world and at least you'll be under qualified in the right attire. ;)

I know how to use the gear, set up the gear, EQ, ringout,and all that business.
Im just don't want to look like a chicken with my head cut off running everywhere, or setting something up when I should be doing something first.
Just wondering if there are any AV vets who have a good procedure in setting up Audio.

ps. Im going to look good..Really good(dress attire)

Always know what's going on. You will be dealing with idiots that don't know how to use a mic, where to stand, or what to touch. Be gentile and polite but firm when dealing with the speakers. Above all else, though, do whatever it takes to make the thing look seamless.

Sorry, your post just came across (to me) as a "How do I plug a microphone into this speaker?" kind of thing. As far as the setup goes, do it how you know best and get it done earlier than they expect you to. Know the plan before you start putting your gear places so that you are not in the way of projectors/screens, etc. Leave yourself time to troubleshoot and ring out speakers to get the best gain before feedback because, as has been stated, you'll need that headroom. If you have playback make sure your cues are exact and you play the correct track. Nothing like having several hundred suits turn around to look at you, knowing that you screwed up. Have backups of most things available and ready to be put to use immediately. Turn on the wireless mics yourself and either tape over the switch or use the lockout feature. FRESH BATTERIES!!

Those are some general things to do/think about. If you have more specific questions let 'em rip!

Going along with lots of people who know not a lot, if you are dealing with lecterns and mic stands, be very careful to avoid mechanical contact between the two or when they tap the lectern, fiddle their papers etc, you'll get thumps through the PA... Oh and a single lectern mic will generally be fiddled with, a pair that have been set up symmetrically are generally left alone. (Use one only of course)

Perfect the looking busy look, many a corporate gig is fader up, intervening hours, fader down. You can't look like you'd rather be asleep...

Perfect the looking busy look, many a corporate gig is fader up, intervening hours, fader down. You can't look like you'd rather be asleep...

This is a good point. I did a hair show/demonstration/class where I was literally on day three of being awake. I was sitting there in a corner with an 8 channel console, two inputs being used (lav and CD). It was quite obvious that I was tired, no suit and tie could hide my face plants on the console. Thankfully on this gig nobody cared...

It was quite obvious that I was tired, no suit and tie could hide my face plants on the console. Thankfully on this gig nobody cared...

Shame you weren't able to reconfigure the tie to keep you upright :twisted:

Also, make sure the client thinks you know what you are doing, even if you got no clue. Best not to stress them any more than they already are...
Yes Sir, No Sir, Three bags full Sir

Make sure you ask about what is being presented, and what is needed, I have had several times when all of a sudden a speaker shows up and wants to play something, could be music could be a powerpoint presentation that has inbedded audio. etc

if you are using wireless mic, make sure that you tape it on/ mute and power so you dont have all the fiddling on the part of the speaker. Bring a spare mic, have them color coded so that you can quickly tell which mic is which. Consider having a mic for audience questions, so that they can be heard
Try to place the speakers and ring out so that the feed back positions that are reduces as for some reason people seem to be attracted ot the worst possible location to stand.

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back