foam glue

Dreadpoet

We are trying to build a dragon head as a costume piece out of soft foam. What might you suggest that can be got from home depot or other hardware stores.

I've found that Super 77 Spray Adhesive (available at home centers, craft stores, and super stores) is really good for attaching soft foam to other surfaces (especially wood). Make sure that you follow the instructions; spray both surfaces, let them dry, then stick them together. As for attaching soft foam to itself, I've found that sewing it with some high mark thread is most effective.
It often asks you to be too specific, but you could also check http://www.thistothat.com/, they have some good adhesive suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that spray adhesives are best. You want to look for something that says that it is a contact adhesive which is the process jessamarie is talking about. There are better adhesives, but I don't know if they are as available as Super 77.

Tip: (That I heard actually happened just a few days ago.) When using contact adhesive, don't pour it into a styrofoam coffee cup. Big mess.:(

Super Spray 77 is awesome stuff but it has it's limits. How much strain does this glue have to support? Are you gluing foam to a frame or trying to make it somehow free standing on it's own? How much surface area are you talking about gluing together (ie large sections to share the strain or small sections that have to stand on their own)? Is this a costume piece that's going to be used a lot and needs to be really durable?

Trying to get a better grasp of how strong this stuff needs to be.

Check back tomorrow around noon pacific. Van "the adhesive king" usually stops in CB during his lunch break.

If you are trying to build what I think you are, I would probably not use soft foam. I would lean toward carving a giant block of solid foam instead.

We are creating a dragon headpiece for a childrens show ...I believe that it is going to be a near all foam headpiece (I am not the costmer, just doing a little reserch for a contract laborer). I just tried a quick bond spray adhesive from Elmer's, gotta love Elmers, that I had laying around for some reason. It dried in 3-5...and it took a pretty substantial tug/jerk to rip the foam pieces apart.

if the spray glues aren't strong enough for you, you can also use a latex based contact glue. 3M makes a good one. Home Depot should have it.

It takes longer to dry, makes the seam a little rigid, but is MUCH stronger.

I have built many pieces out of High Density foam, and if it takes much abuse for much time, it will eventually come apart. If you are going to cover the foam with fabric or similar that will be again spray glued to the soft foam, that will add considerable strength to the work as well.

Good Luck (and don't forget a respirator!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back