Foley Resources

Buttons

For the first show that we're doing this semester we have decided that instead of pushing sound through a sound system we're going to have a live Foley station. Since this is the first time I've done any Foley work and I'm trying to get my design put together I was wondering for those of you who have done Foley work what resources did you use to get your information from? The sounds that I'm trying to create are....

Huge slurping sound {this one's kind of obvious}
Wind howling
Huge rumbling sound {may use audience participation for this}
Coyote howl {may use an underclassman for this one lol}
Distant sound of cowbells {this one's also kind of obvious}
Rustling
Rooster
Crash
Stampeding hoof beats {may use audience participation for this}
Booming noise
Whoom
Rattling sound
Dull roar
Snake hisses
Huge Roaring sound
Thunder
Lightening crack
Boom
Rain

Since it's a kids show and we're doing a mix of both puppets and live action the sounds can be as cartoon-y as we want I just really need a starting point. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it!!

--Buttons

Among other things, you'll definitely need a thunder sheet. More in this thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/20617-onstage-foley-station.html, and searching YouTube for foley.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szyht9jc8PE

For the first show that we're doing this semester we have decided that instead of pushing sound through a sound system we're going to have a live Foley station. ...
Note that you may still have to mic some or all of the effects in order for the audience to hear them. Either a fixed PCC on the table, or perhaps have the foley artist wear a wired lavalier, not for his voice but to amplify whatever gizmo he's using at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks !
Yeah, we were discussing the mic situation, we're hoping that we won't have to since the space that we're performing in is so small - it's an outdoor gazebo at our local botanical garden - that it may not be necessary.

Check out how they do the Prairie Home Companion Series on NPR. They always have a foley artist when they do their live broadcasts.

I would be wary of not micing anything, especially if your outdoors and you have no idea if there will be ambient noise. 2 small powered speakers and a preamp and a decent mic will guarantee that everything will be heard properly. Just my 2cents.

Yeah, we were discussing the mic situation, we're hoping that we won't have to since the space that we're performing in is so small - it's an outdoor gazebo at our local botanical garden - that it may not be necessary.
That's a great idea as well but I think the thunder sheet would probably be better since the show will be outside with tons of little kids running around.
Some live effects may have trouble translating well if you are outdoors with significant ambient noise and espeically if you do not use sound reinforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back