Follow Spots

ZJH90

Ok, I feel so ashamed for having to ask this, but does anyone know what kind of follow spots are used for most professional theater? I am not referring to the large oblong ones with a longer throw, but the small short ones that almost look like source 4s with a giant circular lense on the front. I recently saw Wicked and noticed two technicians controlling them up in the proscenium. All help is greatly appreciated.

As a matter of fact, what you saw in Wicked that looked like Source Fours were in fact Source Four 10° units with City Theatrical followspot accessories and color scrollers on them.
proxy.php

...Wicked has a very small FOH, and it isn't used much at all. The vast majority of light on the stage is coming from the tops and sides, with maybe just a little fill from the FOH to kill the shadows. And they have those two side-mounted spots in the proscenium (S4-10 with color scrollers) and three spots FOH.

Ok, I feel so ashamed for having to ask this, but does anyone know what kind of follow spots are used for most professional theater? I am not referring to the large oblong ones with a longer throw, but the small short ones that almost look like source 4s with a giant circular lense on the front. I recently saw Wicked and noticed two technicians controlling them up in the proscenium. All help is greatly appreciated.

I don't think that you can generalize "most professional theatres" by what you saw in Wicked. Professional theatres will use whatever followspots the lighting designer feels fit the show or whatever the theatre has in inventory. Not all of "the large oblong ones" are designed for long throws. There are quite a range of followspot fixtures available. You can get fixtures with a range of throws and lamp types.

I don't think that you can generalize "most professional theatres" by what you saw in Wicked. Professional theatres will use whatever followspots the lighting designer feels fit the show or whatever the theatre has in inventory. Not all of "the large oblong ones" are designed for long throws. There are quite a range of followspot fixtures available. You can get fixtures with a range of throws and lamp types.

Exactly. In fact, I'd say that the "source-four-on-a-stick" style of follow spot is the exception rather than the norm in the professional world. In the case of Wicked, they were likely chosen because the designer wanted the tungsten source, and for their smaller size. Also, remember that Wicked still had 3 Lycian 1293 X3Ks out front to act as "normal" follow spots.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back