Installs Foyer/FoH Speaker System

techietim

Hi All,

May be heading up a new project in our church foyer as below.
What we plan to do is have some set background tracks playing in the background in the church foyer (which is open in the week as the office is staffed by our administrator) quietly...
Here's how I was thinking of doing it:
That's all obviously for the hardware install...it's the software side I'm debating/confused on :)

I had a couple of ideas, which it'd be good to get your opinion on and any other ideas you have...:)
  • Small 'low-powered' PC with an internet connection and some kind of music library I can remotely upload the music tracks for the week onto and the computer will play them to the speakers via the AUX connection (3.5mm to RCA o/e)
  • CD that I will leave with the office each week that might auto-loop (is that possible?) to be played - not so keen on this option
  • Any other ideas?
The area it will go in will probably be the secured office and has access to power and internet (not too slow connection!).

The other issue is the timing element of the music - if I used a PC I could just set the music to play and stop at set hours maybe?
If I set the stereo on a timer plug I think it would be difficult to get it to power on, and on the AUX channel, probably wouldn't be very reliable or possible?!

I'd really appreciate your help guys! :grin:
Thanks again,
TechieTim

For music sources you could also consider a SiriusXM radio (no commercials) or an iPod rather than a full-blown PC. Older generation iPods can be found on the cheap. Controlling the power to the amp with just a simple timer seems like it would solve the 'set hours'.

For music sources you could also consider a SiriusXM radio (no commercials) or an iPod rather than a full-blown PC. Older generation iPods can be found on the cheap. Controlling the power to the amp with just a simple timer seems like it would solve the 'set hours'.
You may need to consider that a church is generally viewed as a commercial/public venue ratehr than a residence. I'm not sure about the laws in the UK but this use would not be part of actual religious services and thus copyright issues may apply. Unless you already have the relevant licensing then if you look at any music services you might actually have to look at commercial music services while similar issues may apply to downloaded files or music copied to a CD.

The application could also affect the wiring. If the cable is simply surface run then it may not matter, however if the cable is run in walls, above ceilings, in plenum spaces, etc. then it may neeed to be properly rated for the actual installation conditions.

I doubt a simple timer would handle the timing unless there is a way to a) program the stereo to power on when power is applied and b) program the music source to start the music source when power is applied. Is there a reason people can't just turn the music system on and start the music when they arrive in the morning and then shut everything down when they leave?

You may need to consider that a church is generally viewed as a commercial/public venue ratehr than a residence. I'm not sure about the laws in the UK but this use would not be part of actual religious services and thus copyright issues may apply. Unless you already have the relevant licensing then if you look at any music services you might actually have to look at commercial music services while similar issues may apply to downloaded files or music copied to a CD.

The application could also affect the wiring. If the cable is simply surface run then it may not matter, however if the cable is run in walls, above ceilings, in plenum spaces, etc. then it may neeed to be properly rated for the actual installation conditions.

I doubt a simple timer would handle the timing unless there is a way to a) program the stereo to power on when power is applied and b) program the music source to start the music source when power is applied. Is there a reason people can't just turn the music system on and start the music when they arrive in the morning and then shut everything down when they leave?

Thanks for your ideas, I will let them know. Much appreacited :)

You may consider having the ability to switch to the mixer in the auditorium too, that way you could have the church program in the foyer also.

The church program currently goes through two little powered speakers already in the foyer.
It would be difficult to use these for music though as all the sound racks would have to be booted to put sound through them and the staff running the office would probably not be confident in doing this. Also don't really want other people fiddling around with the sound racks!

How about something like this for your existing powered speakers? ST-SSR1 ‐ Line‐Level Audio Switch ‐ 2x1

You could send whatever signal you want to the speakers all day, and when the mixer sends a signal to them, it would switch to the mixer signal.

I'd have to look into getting one of those from the UK and how to wire them (little confused, just need to read). Potentially could be the solution! It would easily sit just behind the speakers.
Thanks for that!

Looks like you may need to rig up a cheap switch also, but this seems like a lot less work than wiring up a whole seperate set of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back