Framing flat with designed crack

Ech725

So I have a 20' W wall that will be flown. I have to cut the wall in sections so that it can fit on a truck. The designer has designed a crack in the wall to hide a seam.
I've attached a pic of the crack. It's roughly 10' in height.

Crack.JPG

Now I'm wondering if I should do a vertical seam and have the facing following the profile of the crack and bolt together afterwards
OR frame to the outline of the crack and bolt afterwards?

I like the vertical seam because it is a continuous piece of framing rather than angled pieces of the crack.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Crack.pdf
    1.1 KB · Views: 231
depend what the face of the wall is. if it just 3mm ply for example then i would follow the crack with the timber frame to give it strength when you fly it. also the crack is not very complex so i think it would be worth spending the time doing it this way.

depend what the face of the wall is. if it just 3mm ply for example then i would follow the crack with the timber frame to give it strength when you fly it. also the crack is not very complex so i think it would be worth spending the time doing it this way.

Yeah the facing will be 1/4" laun.

I think if you can be careful enough in transport you could keep the frame seam straight, running up the center of the cracked area, with the skin both hanging over and under the frame on each piece. At load-in, bolt the frame together and tack the overhanging skins to the opposite frame.

you could do either of our answers but i would suggest adding some timbers behind the crack where there is no frame to support it. even if it is just some roughly cut pieces that somebody can hold in place from behind while somebody else staples through the 1/4" from the front. it might make life easier if you are filling or paint the front and will make sure that both sides of the laun meet perfectly so there are no nasty shadows cast from lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back