From full-time to freelance...

Good point on the disability. I know I can get health insurance for 200-300/mo, but I'm not sure if it covers disability or not. I do have to research that more.

It's actually not a salaried position, it's hourly. The benefits suck. I'm still paying over $200/mo out of pocket for my insurance, but it's better than nothing. And there are a number of other reasons I wish to leave this company which I won't go in to detail about here.

As for liability I'm likely to be doing tie-ins and probably some basic rigging, but all under the supervision of someone who works for the company that hired me. I'm not going to be negotiating contracts and bidding on jobs. More like overhire on a day rate through various companies. I shouldn't need liability for that right? Speaking of overhire, I'll still be able to work for the company I'm leaving. They hire on people all the time during the busy season. They know I intend to leave, and we've kept a good relationship going in spite of it. From this standpoint this summer is actually a great time to leave, as I'll still get plenty of work through them if I can't find it elsewhere while having the freedom to cultivate other working relationships, which is the main thing I'm missing right now.

I've worked with Chicago Stagehands before, and the company I work for hires them rather frequently. They're great to work for and work with in my experience. They would be a good secondary job IF I had the opportunity work with anyone other than my current employer, but 60+hr weeks during the summer kind of restrict my schedule.

I've also talked to a few people who have left my company over the past couple of years, and they all say they're much better off. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything together before I do leave. It seems like good health insurance with disability and an adequate amount of work are the main things I need to concern myself with.

Good rule of thumb, if you fill out a W-4 and get taxes taken out of your check, you need not worry about liability. If you are under a 1099 and have to file taxes yourself, you need to be concerned about liability. So, as long as you are under someone's flag, your fine.

As others have said, a good gun for hire is nearly impossible to hire. The best guys on my list with the exception of my heads are nearly impossible to get it for work because they are working so much. People who are good and are available are in demand and get scooped up quick. Work gets out between companies as well. Pull as many calls with your IA local or other labor companies as possible. That will get you in these venues and also get you connections in the network. Attach yourself to the crew heads and make sure they know your name (and for the right reasons). You want to become the answer to the "Hey, do you know anyone who can do ______ this weekend?"

As others have said, never turn down work if you can avoid it. On my list if I have never worked with you, you get two calls and your bumped to the bottom if you have not taken a call. In this business interview tend to happen onsite, and usually within the first 5 minutes of a call. Never forget that. The life of a freelancer is always about whats the next gig and how can I use the people around me right now to get more/better work.

Also, fire your resume' out to anyone that you think could use it. You would be amazed how often I have gotten a cold resume' at the same time I am trying to fill a call...

Also, fire your resume' out to anyone that you think could use it. You would be amazed how often I have gotten a cold resume' at the same time I am trying to fill a call...
Never underestimate sending out tons of resumes and Craigslist ads.
One of my most valuable business relationships is the result of answering a somewhat vague Craigslist ad.

Whether or not to set yourself up as an LLC or sole proprietorship can be up to your future freelance employers. When I first started doing the freelance thing my main employer wanted me to be a "business" so that it would make 1099'ing me more legitimate. 5 years later and that just made having my own rental company easier to setup. Starting in the freelance world was very scary for me, especially because I moved across the country and had ZERO contacts. I feel like I got lucky; if I could do it again I'm not sure that I would opt to go the freelance route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back