Gam FilmFX - Baffling the Noise?

Hi All,

Noise control question: Working in a smaller theatre space and the LD is using some Gam FilmFX on the box boom positions to create various effects (rain etc.). The issue we're coming across is the amount of noise coming from both the motors on the FX, as well as the film itself moving. Does anyone have any solutions (short of building housings around the lights) that have worked? Thanks in advance!

Ah yes I remember that crinkling noise. I don't remember whether or not playing with the tension helps. I just remember living with it. Unfortunately any housing sufficient to dampen the noise will also obstruct airflow, which will overheat the unit. If the LD can live with a slower speed that should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope this is not too obvious, but don't turn the motor on till you have to.

I would say that at least for a rain effect, your sound effects (assuming they exist) should be sufficient to cover up the noise. If there's no output near the light to mask it, consider getting your sound designer to add what we'd call a "special" if possible near the FilmFX units to be used while they are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back