Gel String Repair

GoboMan

I recently started working at a venue that uses a high inventory of Coloram II scrollers with Wybron 24-gel strings. The other day, one of the scrollers was malfunctioning, in that the string would never land on the correct color, and/or it would land between two colors. I started by trying a new motor, but I still got the same behavior. I then put in a new gel string, and lo and behold, it fixed the problem. However, the old gel string looked to still be in good shape.

My question is... Is there a way to clean/fix the gel string itself? I'd hate to throw it away if it is something that can be fixed. What, on the gel string itself, could have been causing that problem?

I recently started working at a venue that uses a high inventory of Coloram II scrollers with Wybron 24-gel strings. The other day, one of the scrollers was malfunctioning, in that the string would never land on the correct color, and/or it would land between two colors. I started by trying a new motor, but I still got the same behavior. I then put in a new gel string, and lo and behold, it fixed the problem. However, the old gel string looked to still be in good shape.

My question is... Is there a way to clean/fix the gel string itself? I'd hate to throw it away if it is something that can be fixed. What, on the gel string itself, could have been causing that problem?

Could it have been the tension of the rollers? I know if that is off the colors won't hit their mark. You could try the string that was giving you trouble again with the correct roller tension, or try in in another scroller (maybe that's what you meant by trying a new motor?).

There is a specific leader and trailer sensor tabs on the gel strings that work by passing thru an optical sensor. They are usually metallic strips. These are at the beginning and end of the scroll. When the unit first gets power it will 'Roll Call" to both ends of the scroll to calibrate itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back