Generator Brand Question

Stay away from GENEJUNK!! I cannot say how much I hate those pieces of junk!! At the 10kW size you're in the low-end of generators, basically 'consumer' or 'home' grade units. Kohler is good, I would also highly recommend Baldor or Onan.

10kW is really small and you're likely in the air-cooled range which are once again going to be 'cheap' generators. Step up to 20-30kW and get you something that is liquid cooled along with a block heater to keep the engine warm and ready to roll.

Also STAY AWAY from 3,600 RPM units, once again these are low end units that sound like they're going to fly apart and typically have a short life. 1,800 RPM units are generally better built higher grade units.

Also, you need to budget for annual PM on a generator, the oil and filter needs to be changed annually, coolant checked, batteries checked, etc. Don't buy it and forget about it! Generators need TLC just like HVAC, AV gear, etc.

We have two generators in my venue, a small one that runs just the emergency light system and a large one to run 80% of the building. The first one auto switches with loss of power, the second has to be started and incrementally loaded. Once loaded it switches off the first generator. We start both every Monday.

Another vote for avoiding Generac unless you want it to fail on you during a critical moment. It's a good throw away generator.

I was in the generator field (Field Service tech) for 15 years, so all of my opinion comes from thousands of hours of real world experience. If you name a brand, I have probably worked on it or replaced it.

You don't mention a transfer Switch. You need one. GE Zenith is one of the best. In this size Onan is second, Asco third. Cat re-brands transfer switches.

First 6 1/3 Hp motors run almost 900w each. So around 5kw running. About 15kw if they all start at once.

Also keep in mind that most generators (NatGas) in the 1 to 20kw range usually run in the 3600rpm range. And natural gas is not very good at absorbing heavy loads especially if you are at 150% of name plate rating. Couple that with the face that you are running a 100% motor load. Generators (that size) are rated for 1.0 power factor and when you start adding motor loads your PF changes and drops the capacity of your generator. Most of these also use a full field type of excitation, so you get 100% rated voltage and speed and then both start to drop as you add load. Not good for anything but incandescent light bulbs. These are usually also air cooled, not good for a long running time. You will get a couple hundred hours and then replace them.

So with that look at a 15kw diesel. These are used in multitudes of fire trucks, buses, and outer utility situations. You will get the extra capacity, diesel powered (able to take transient load fluctuations better), most will be 1800rpm, water cooled and have electronic voltage regulation. A well maintained diesel engine can run thousands of hours. You will often replace every other component before you replace the engine. The main draw back is the fact that you need to run a coolant heater year round.

As far as brands, in this size and applacation. I would go with an Onan (They are all sold under the Cummins brand). They have an excellent brand reputation, lots of service centers with field service techs. Second would be a Cat, they dont excel at the smaller stuff and most is made by FG Wilson in the UK. The controls are not as reliable because they use a lot of modules and old school relays. It will probobly a Perkins engine.

Don't be afraid to look at the Kohler stuff but only as a 3rd option.
Generac does not make JUNK but their smaller stuff is not as good. Most people that hate Generac, went to home depot, picked up what ever was on sale, didn't take care of it and tried to take it back to home depot. I have seen lots of generac stuff with over a thousand hours on it.
Seimens is re-branded generac. Literally made in the same factory using same parts but painted different color (at least the last time I heard, about a year ago)
Baldor may make great motors, not so much on generators. They buy parts from who ever and build them.
MQ Power is usually built as part of a rental fleet, service and parts suck.
Aggreko is a rental company, they build their own stuff and it is very shade tree.

Budget $500 a year for maintenance, and $2000 every 5-7 years for extended maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back