Genie question

reid1256

I have a genie man lift and I have an interesting problem that has led me to find a better solution. The genie is battery powered and has an external batter charger that rides on the back and hooks to the battery via aligator clips. Whenever the genie is not being used we like to plug the charger into the wall to ensure the battery is always fresh and ready for the next use. The problem is, when you leave the alligator clips on the battery for any amount of time without the charger plugged into the wall the battery is drained via the alligator clips on the battery. I am curious if anybody knows of something like a diod that would restrict the battery charger from draining the battery. This way the alligator clips of the battery charger could always be left on the battery.

Is the charger made by Genie?
the charger on mine is on a timer that you turn for x-hours of charge.
the charger is built into a battery box.

Inserting a diode would prevent the battery discharging, but it may also effect the operation of the charger... due to both the voltage drop across the diode, and the fact that it would prevent the charger from being able to sense the battery's voltage (if it's a smart charger).

This also gets uncomfortably close to the area of "modifying a lift". Yes, I know it's only the charger, but there might be unintended interaction with the rest of the lift's electronics. I think this question is one for the manufacturer or local dealer.

-Fred

What about finding someone who is qualified to add a relay to the charger - coil to the charger's incoming power, contacts in series with the output cables? That way when the charger is not plugged in, the output cables are effectively disconnected.

It really sounds like you may have an aftermarket charger, at least to me. every Genie I have ever used has proper connectors and is designed for the exact use you describe, even the old ones. It also sounds like you may have a battery or charger issue. If it is a deep cycle battery, make sure there is enough water in the cells. Do not hesitate to have the battery tested at an auto parts store. I had one go bad last year. It was about $90 to replace it, but the unit worked great after that. The Genie was only 5 years old. Certainly I would not modify the setup in any way. Pay the money to have a qualified tech out to take a look at it.

~Dave

Five years is about how long a typical wet cell battery is good for. Replacing the battery every five years is just routine maintenance.

I agree. I was just trying to point general maintenance items that may contribute to the issues listed in the original post.

~Dave

A battery that is dying will self discharge. Have you checked to see if the battery dies by sitting without the charger connected?

There are battery chargers and there are battery chargers. Many will cook a battery if left charging all the time. As far as I know, only expensive, industrial grade chargers are designed to properly float a battery for long periods of time. Those designed for use on a standby generator come to mind.

It may be time to replace the battery, and use a charger approved by Genie. As noted above, their chargers have timers to prevent overcharging, since they are not designed to float.

That is an odd sounding charger. Now it may just be the connector type, but every genie with battery I have seen (approximatley 5) has connectors that are bolted onto the battery. The charger is a smart charget that charges fast first and then trickle charges after that. I still only leave it charging for a maximum of overnight and unplug it when I come in the next day. I also agree with the suggestion that perhaps it is time to replace the battery. See how many times you can go up and down before running out of power. If it is less than maybe 15 cycles up and down, your battery is dead. (my opinion)

Your battery's life will have been decreased if it has been left charging for days at a time, many times, or if the water has never been filled up (if it is a refillable kind) Also if it is several years old.

Perhaps you could get a picture of your battery and charger and their connection?

I just replaced the battery in our Genie and 5 years from a marine battery is about par. My charger has auto style leads and a factory timer also. I've never seen one like you are describing.

Do you run it up and down at every stop, or do you get a "driver" to push you around? My electrics are set at 18' 6" and I have no problem getting chauffeured about. Really saves the battery too for when those pesky last minute changes. The only time I use the outriggers is if I have to go to the roof iron 32' up - then it gets a little sea like and the pucker factor goes way up.

Do you run it up and down at every stop, or do you get a "driver" to push you around? My electrics are set at 18' 6" and I have no problem getting chauffeured about. Really saves the battery too for when those pesky last minute changes. The only time I use the outriggers is if I have to go to the roof iron 32' up - then it gets a little sea like and the pucker factor goes way up.

What you're suggesting is HIGHLY UNSAFE and VERY against the Control Booth ToS. It's doesn't matter how high you're going, you ALWAYS need to use outriggers and pushing a Genie lift around while it's extended is just asking for it to tip over, ESPECIALLY without outriggers...

What I am suggesting is pretty much normal in my experience and not a safety issue with my unit. This is how every LD I've worked with in the past 11 years has rolled when they load in and see our setup. I've done so many shows on the fly it comes down to: adapt, improvise, overcome and get on with the show. You have to know your equipment, know its limitations, know your own limitations and go from there.

What I am suggesting is pretty much normal in my experience and not a safety issue with my unit. This is how every LD I've worked with in the past 11 years has rolled when they load in and see our setup. I've done so many shows on the fly it comes down to: adapt, improvise, overcome and get on with the show. You have to know your equipment, know its limitations, know your own limitations and go from there.

"Standard" procedure or not, if you are employed by a non-government or non-educational facility then you are in violation of OSHA regulations by moving an extended man lift or defeating the built in safety features. The concept of "The show must go on" does not mean that you should sacrifice your safety. You should have a read through this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/15713-riding-frame-extension-ladder.html for a little perspective on safety when working at height.

Edit:
I also forgot to mention that the labels on EVERY Genie lift say that you should not push it around while extended. You you are also using the device outside of the manufacturers specifications.

Last edited:
What I am suggesting is pretty much normal in my experience and not a safety issue with my unit.
Can you please quote the relevant section of the manufacturer's operating instructions that state that this is proper use?

I didn't think so...

By definition, when dealing with anything at height, ANY use other than what is specified by the manufacturer IS a safety issue. People have been seriously injured and killed by the improper use of Genie (and other) lifts. And, I'm sure that many of those people thought what they were doing was safe.

So, it is a safety issue. Now, if you choose to ignore the safety warnings, and do something unsafe, that's certainly your right. But, it's not right to suggest to others that it's OK and safe... and certainly hot here.

I hope you will consider this carefully, as I'd hate to see you as the next contestant for the Darwin Awards.

-Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back