Getting a grip on the Gels

SanTai

We are planning to increase our inventory of gels upgrade our sorting of gel cuts. The problem comes with diffrent manufactures and their diffrent color lines.

I was told that Lee and Rosco E-Colour was supposed to be similar, aiming to be the same. Is this true for all filters? Could these be used interchangeably and since sorted that way?

Does the Roscolux and E-Colour numbers overlap? Is this the reason I have seen at some venues that they have filters marked with REXXX and some with RXXX?

How do you do it?

When i first started at the Theatre im in now, 20 years ago, they had 4 boxs of gell. Seperated by color. It was a mess!! Most of it was roscolux so i gave the other stuff to the local highschool. I than set up a file box and set it up in order. we dont have anything larger then 6 inch so it was simple. Once in awhile someone wants a gam color so we buy it for that show only and any left over or good stuff after the show we give to the schools. Keeps my life simple

We are planning to increase our inventory of gels upgrade our sorting of gel cuts. The problem comes with diffrent manufactures and their diffrent color lines.

I was told that Lee and Rosco E-Colour was supposed to be similar, aiming to be the same. Is this true for all filters? Could these be used interchangeably and since sorted that way?

Does the Roscolux and E-Colour numbers overlap? Is this the reason I have seen at some venues that they have filters marked with REXXX and some with RXXX?

How do you do it?

The quick answer to your questions, is yes, the colors in some series of Lee and Rosco were sedigned to be SIMILAR. This does not maek them interchangeable. Some companies have published lists of color exchanges between manufacturers, but they are not really the same. You should file gel separated by manufacturers and file Roscolux, Roscolene, and E-Color separate.

So...

What is the difference between supergel and lux? I have roll that is marked with SG/LUX? Can all the supergel colours and lux colours be used interchangably?

Long story short, yes you can find gel that is some what similar, possibly very close. You do not want to, ever, try to interchange gel manufacturers without first talking to the lighting designer. Just don't do it.

You should find one or two manufacturers that you like, that are available to you and give away all the rest. For me, that is Rosco and GAM. Between those two, you will probably be able to find anything you might need.

A conversion chart can be found here http://www.intelligentlighting.com/media/scms/Gel_Reference02.pdf

Apollo also has this: Apollo Design | AGelConvert If you need to find the closest approximation to a color.

As far as what supergel is compared to roscolux: "Supergel is composed of co-extruded polycarbonate plastic. (Supergel is available in most of the world, excluding North America. The Roscolux line, available in North America , includes all of the Supergel line as well as additional colours and diffusions not available in polycarbonate plastic. A list of what colours are available in which lines is available from Rosco.)"

added emphasis=mine

Long story short, yes you can find gel that is some what similar, possibly very close. You do not want to, ever, try to interchange gel manufacturers without first talking to the lighting designer. Just don't do it.

You should find one or two manufacturers that you like, that are available to you and give away all the rest. For me, that is Rosco and GAM. Between those two, you will probably be able to find anything you might need.

Notes that's the same one I linked, the page it displays is just a little different
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yeah. I see now that yours was the mobile site version. Mine was the main site. Same function different graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back