Wireless Getting New Microphones and Packs

Be careful where you are using frequencies below 512 MHz. In larger Metro areas, one or more of the TV channels between 470 and 512 MHz are used for two-way radio systems for public safety (i.e., police and fire/rescue). Interference would be a very bad thing...

I would assume that the interference would be noticed by the user of the microphone first if they picked a channel in use by local public safety.

But yes, it's always best to check the FCC database and find out what is being used in your area before making and wireless microphone purchase.

I would assume that the interference would be noticed by the user of the microphone first if they picked a channel in use by local public safety.

Not necessarily. Many of the users are itinerant--that is, they don't use the channel 100% of the time. So it's entirely possible that you fire up, and they fire up and find they're being jammed (or more likely, their 3W or 30W transmitter kills your poor wireless mic). So yes, absolutely the best thing to do is check the FCC database (or do a Google search for so-called T-band radio systems) and make sure that you won't cause interference. Remember that as a Part 15 device (currently, as of April 7), you must (a) not cause any kind of harmful interference and (b) accept any interference you receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back