Giant('s) Shoes

The high school I tech for is doing Jack and the Magic Beans and the Giant is only going to be represented on stage by sfx, a giant club, big food and a "giant" pair of shoes. I need to make the shoes so that a student or two could make them look like they are trying to step on Jack (simple movements) from offstage. My thoughts so far are constructing them from Styrofoam with a piece of PVC sticking out of the back and behind a fly curtain to raise (or step) them.

I am open to any suggestions, questions and/or comments!

Thanks!

How giant are we talking? "Ouch, don't step on me" or "Holy s--- you're going to crush my house like a cockroach!"?

Styrofoam for the sole and 1/2" upholstery foam for the "leather" of the boot. Thin PVC will be good and light enough for the skeletal interior supports, but you'll probably need more than just a piece of PVC pipe sticking out the back to raise and lower it--it's going to be a pretty big assembly.

Since it appears that you have usable flies, I might would try lifting them from a batten via one line on each side of the shoe and then using a pipe sticking backstage to control angles. This would probably require two free battens, though; one for each shoe. It may also work to just run lines via pulleys offstage to lift them without having to use the flies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back