Glasses friendly ear rig

molsen23

Hello my friends,

For an upcoming theatrical production I’m hirline mic’ing all of my actors except for one. He has a short hairline and I wont be able to hide it well enough- he’s wearing glasses in the show so I was like great, I’ll build him a pair of glasses with his mic attached. Simple right? Nope, directing choice he now removes his glasses for a few seconds a couple times for dramatic effect. I’ve build dozens upon dozens of ear rigs but never had to deal with glasses being taken on and off in the process. How does one avoid the frames not bumping the rig and keeping it comfortable for the actor to wear?

Musical or Play? May need to explore hiding it in the costumer and changing your gain. Could also use spirit gum or tape and use a micro lav stuck high on the cheekbone, the loop would still go over the ear but no bulky earset to deal with.

It’s a musical. Intensive choreo, unfortunately. My normal ear rig consists of a nylon loop with hellerman tubing holding the element to the form extending just to the cheekbone.

Use tensile wire, or cut down a Telex nylon-covered ear loop so the top of the ear loop fits tight to the top of the ear, if not into the fold of the ear. Take the mic underneath the ear on the ear loop so the glasses can go over the ear and not impede the microphone.

Use Tegaderm on the back of the ear to hold the rig in place.

As long as the actor gets some practice with the rig, you should have no issues with it and glasses colliding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back