Design Gobos for talent show

Thetechmanmac

Im looking for some gobo suggestions to use for a student talent show. Right now I am using some breakups on the deck that I really like, but am looking for something to project on our scrim that looks kind of psychedelic. I have two leaf gobos in right now, but don't really like how they looked. (I will post some pics tomorrow). Anyone have suggestions for some cool psychedelic breakups to use? How about a color to go along with them? I don't really have time to purchase anything, but I do have a pretty wide selection of gobos to choose from.

Off topic- 100th post yay! :dance:

Have you tried any of the gel tricks with the gobos? The usual starting place is two different gels cut on the diagonal then tape two different pieces together, adds unique color to the projected image. Shurtape J-Lar is the name brand tape but I understand that standard clear packing tape works just fine. Tom Skelton had a trick where he stacked two gels and cut a circle through both, then put them back together and had two opposite sets. You can also cut random shapes and tape them to a clear or very light color gel, who knows how it will turn out.

For template suggestions -- you're best off just visiting one of the manufacturer's websites. Rosco Laboratories (Rosco, GAM, DHA templates) is rosco.com. Apollo is internetapollo.com. Lee Filters is leefilters.com. Gobo Man is goboman.com. Browse to your heart's content.

I often look for templates that I can use several different ways -- a sense of how they look at sharp versus when they're slightly or very out of focus. A sense of how you might crop one to distinct fields helps, as well as how two templates (the same or different) might tack on top of each other also really helps.

Have you tried using them from a high side or top light position? I've done a pair from each side with contrasting colors and gotten some interesting looks that way.

Looks like I've got some position experimentation to do! I really like some of the gobos in my rogue fixtures (not used at school) so hopefully I can find a pattern similar that works to achieve the look I want..

@JohnD That is a great idea! I will have to give that a try. I really do need a multitude of colors, so that is an awesome way to go about doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back