Wireless Good ways to mic actors

EustaceM

How do you mic actors? What are good and effective ways to mic actors with wireless microphones? Are there any ways to hide the mic as much as possible without ruining the sound?

How do you mic actors? What are good and effective ways to mic actors with wireless microphones? Are there any ways to hide the mic as much as possible without ruining the sound?

Welcome to CB! Take a moment to introduce yourself in the new members forum.

As for your question, we have beaten that to death more than once. Use the search function, and feel free to ask any questions on those threads. Sorry.

But, I have always just taped lav mics to their cheek bone and behind the ear for support.

As chausman mentioned, there's a wealth of information (and countless) via the search feature. Try using tags such as "mic placement" or "mic position" or "wireless mic", and you should get a ton of hits.

However, here's a few links/threads to get you started in the right direction.

Lavliers/mic placement

Best Way Mic'ing Actors

Wireless Mic Rigging - The Right Way

Hiding Wireless Lav Mics

It would also help to know what type of equipment you have at your disposal as the differences between lavs and ear booms and even between manufacturers will influence what would work best in your particular instance.

Well, as an actor myself (I've been onstage since I was born--literally, I played baby Jesus, and I've been on stage ever since then) I prefer the hairline, because it is the least hassle. The little mic pouches can be a lifesaver, as they make for easier quick changes.

The lavs cliped on the shirt make for HELL when it comes to quick changes.

I don't mind the micro headsets, as long as there isn't too much dancing.

The biggest thing I b***h about is the length of the cord. If it's to long, it can get caught in the belt or pants, and make for difficult head movement. If it's too short, it does the same thing.

My favorite mic was when I had the mic in my hair, as well as the transmitter, all under a wig.

That's just from an actors POV. :)

Edit: Intersting note:

I was recently in a show where they took cheap lavs and used wire hangers to bend and make headsets, and they covered the wire around the ears with rubber shrink wrap. Not bad sound, but a pain to make the headset for each one.

Last edited:
Well, as an actor myself (I've been onstage since I was born--literally, I played baby Jesus, and I've been on stage ever since then) I prefer the hairline, because it is the least hassle. The little mic pouches can be a lifesaver, as they make for easier quick changes.

Be careful if you do this, unless you have some really good quality mics, you'll lose a lot of the mid frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back