Mixers/Consoles Makeshift Intercom

Hugtrain

Today I set up a monitor backstage for an intercom to the actors, but I can't really figure out how to send the microphone to the Aux channel without going through the main.

The console has a dedicated talkback mic but it's only for mics connected to the console and not the rack. I have a wireless mic connected on the rack that I've been using but it only goes through when the main drawbar is up.
I have the AUX channel up on the panel and the talkback mic goes through overriding the main fader.

I'm not really well versed in the patch bay and stuff. Does anyone know why it won't go through?

PS the board is some kind of Roland. I forget which but I'll look tomorrow if that's necessary.

Funny you should mention. spurred by a private conversation with a member here, I just updated my Raspberry pi/mumbleserver/self standing wifi router.
Can use cat5e wired or wireless segments. Can use any old computer, raspberry pi, or thin client as the mumble client and get 2 way full duplex coms to multiple stations. The kicker, there's even a phone app you can cut into the wifi and do full duplex PTT I can put up the server and client images again if anyone is interested. Pi 3 boards have now come back down to pre covid prices and can be had in the 35 buck range. I've been running our theater for years on mumble

Today I set up a monitor backstage for an intercom to the actors, but I can't really figure out how to send the microphone to the Aux channel without going through the main.

The console has a dedicated talkback mic but it's only for mics connected to the console and not the rack. I have a wireless mic connected on the rack that I've been using but it only goes through when the main drawbar is up.
I have the AUX channel up on the panel and the talkback mic goes through overriding the main fader.

I'm not really well versed in the patch bay and stuff. Does anyone know why it won't go through?

PS the board is some kind of Roland. I forget which but I'll look tomorrow if that's necessary.
Roland is *usually* not the soundboard, and that may matter here.

The approach you're looking for is "pre-fader send", which lets the talkback mic get to the monitors without going into the mains, but it's a soundboard 'thing'; if your only sound is built into a video switcher, you may not have it.

Download the "really fine manual" (which is the polite way of saying "read the f'in manual"). Harsh lesson #1 - you get help when you're ready to be helped, that means being prepared.

The answers you seek are in the manual.

The board is a V Mixer M 300
I've run one of these. They're not terrible, but certainly not the most intuitive to a new tech. A seasoned tech can figure it out pretty quickly if they know what they're looking for, but at the same time a newbie could get completely lost. It has most of the common features, but is awful at showing them to you unless you dig for them. It is, at least, a dedicated audio console- no video features at all, but the first time I'd heard of Roland audio gear besides the random instrument.

If you can find someone nearby that knows audio (even if not this particular board), it would probably help you tremendously. If they don't know the board already though, it'll take them a few minutes to find anything. Expect lots of semi-frustrated mumbling to themselves as they do this. If you're bringing them in, have a map of how everything is currently set up (the best you can figure it out), and a list things you would like them to show you how to do.

You shouldn't need to mess with the software patch. Like Jay suggested, the term you're looking for in the manual is "Pre-Fade", and I remember it's a per-channel, per-aux setting on that board.

Welcome to the Booth!

I would say wether it is pre or post fader is not a factor here. There is a place that will turn off the channel from the LR fader pr (or output). Once it is turned off from there AND you send it to the aux send (the monitor side stage) your mic will only go there. We have a M-400 in one of our venues which I have played with a little bit (like an hour or so) so still finding my way around it. Our A&H mixers you turn off the signal to the LR and sent a channel to a group or aux.
This post should put you on the right track but not tell you where to turn off the LR mix. I can't get to the M400 for another week but when I do, if I remember I will have a look and get back to you.
Regards
Geoff

EDIT: I went for a walk and upon reflection a channel set to prefader for the aux, and the signal then sent to the aux without raising the fader will do just this. Different mixers have different work flow. There are some youtube videos on the roland mixers so have a look. one of them should have the info you need.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, everyone.

I did know how to patch it from all the patchbays and such, but it seems that it was just random?
Anyway, it's working now

Odd that it self-heals. That kind of "miracle" usually points to a remediated operator error.

That said, if this is for backstage announce there are several other options including some that do not require that a mixer be in the signal chain. Maybe not a "thing" right now, but some show where you need that input channel back.....

Glad it's working for you. My suggestion that the manual be downloaded and consulted still stands. For those playing along at home, other than the REACT (remote i/o) the workflow of the Roland M300/400 are very much like the Yamaha 01v96.

Here you go. I believe this is what you’re looking for. I use this to inject com into my in-ears mixed in with my ear mix from FOH. 4 pin out of beltpack in, XLR to a mixer, 1/4” out from an aux, 4 pin to headset was my setup. You could utilize something like this to get what you need.

Here you go. I believe this is what you’re looking for. I use this to inject com into my in-ears mixed in with my ear mix from FOH. 4 pin out of beltpack in, XLR to a mixer, 1/4” out from an aux, 4 pin to headset was my setup. You could utilize something like this to get what you need.

Sounds really cool, but unfortunately we're using Eartec Ultralight headsets because they were cheap. They don't have an output.

Sounds really cool, but unfortunately we're using Eartec Ultralight headsets because they were cheap. They don't have an output.
Then I must politely ask, WTF are you actually trying to do? Walk me through this like I'm in kindergarten...

Then I must politely ask, WTF are you actually trying to do? Walk me through this like I'm in kindergarten...
I was using a wedge monitor as a backstage announcer thing. Anyway the show's closed. Everything is cleaned up

I'm not an experienced professional. I am a mere High School student and I am still learning. But while we are on the topic of Intercoms, can anyone recommend a brand? I'm looking into ClearCom because I heard it's good, but is there any other (especially anything cheaper!?!)

Last edited:
I was using a wedge monitor as a backstage announcer thing. Anyway the show's closed. Everything is cleaned up

I'm not an experienced professional. I am a mere High School student and I am still learning. But while we are on the topic of Intercoms, can anyone recommend a brand? I'm looking into ClearCom because I heard it's good, but is there any other (especially anything cheaper!?!)
Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. Telex, RTX etc are out there but it all adds up. Looks like the Eartec headsets come in a pack of 4 for slightly less than the price of one Clear-Com belt pack, so I can understand your sticker shock.

I'm guessing that unless there is already a budget in place for such a thing, clearcom is way out of your realm of possibility. I was serious though.. A school in particular should take a look at my raspberry pi project. I have an iso image you can burn to an sd card and have a raspberry pi 3 become it's own wifi access point or bridge to a wired cat5 connection. you can have cell phones running the mumble app talk to the raspberry pi base via wifi, or create client stations from another rasp pi, or a thin client or a cast off pc that no one wants. Crystal clear full duplex communication. I have run our 500 + seat community theater on this for years now. Much better than family service radios. Can use as cheap or as nice a head set as you want. 50 to 60 buck initial outlay to try it out. The iso images are free for the base and I also have some for wired and wireless staions.

This sounds pretty neat, but could you explain what you mean by iso image? Like the camera setting?
Also, do you have a forum post about this that I can look at or plans?
If you're interested, probably best course would be to pair up with a computer nerd (and I mean nerd in the best possible light.. I"m one) at your high school
Good lead would be someone who is into robotics.. probably has familiarity with the arduino or pi. That would be the quickest way to get you up to speed and a working pi. Hour or less for someone who knows how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back