Grad Schools

LouR

I am an Undergrad Tech Theater and Design Major, and have been looking at different graduate programs all over the country. A couple that have really popped out are University of Arizona, University of South Carolina, and Boston University. I am looking mostly at a grad degree in Scenic Design, but also have been toying with the idea of Lighting Design. Anybody recommend any good grad programs for these fields of study, or know anything about the schools I've been looking at?

Much Appreciated.

-Lou

University of Florida, CalARTS, UC Davis all have excellent scene design programs.

I have been thinking about trying to get off of the east coast, if that makes any difference.

Thats going to be pretty hard to do. Yale has a great scene design program if you can get in. Carnegie, Yale, and Purchase are the big 3 when it comes to grad programs in the traditional book. NYU, Arizona, Chapel Hill, Florida State, University of Illinois, and Cal Arts are also great schools. Many of the faculty at these programs attended the other programs for their MFA.

All of these programs are extremely competitive to get into. Also, a few of them will cost you a pretty penny. If you already have loans, you could easily double or triple your debt. Many of these programs want people that are currently working professionally in their chosen field and want to refine their skills. They want you to have real world experience so you will know what you want our of your education. If you have not assisted another designer in a professional environment or designed several times in a professional environment, you might want to consider holding off for a few years. This is not only to help build up your portfolio, but to fully ensure that this is what you want to do. Application deadlines for many Universitys is in January or February. Some have began accepting people already. Deadline for URTA is already over. Really, you are already too late to the game for the 2011 school year. URTA is really the place to find a grad school. There, a school chooses you then you can choose from the schools that want you. Its not a bad way to go.

Thats going to be pretty hard to do. Yale has a great scene design program if you can get in. Carnegie, Yale, and Purchase are the big 3 when it comes to grad programs in the traditional book. NYU, Arizona, Chapel Hill, Florida State, University of Illinois, and Cal Arts are also great schools. Many of the faculty at these programs attended the other programs for their MFA.

All of these programs are extremely competitive to get into. Also, a few of them will cost you a pretty penny. If you already have loans, you could easily double or triple your debt. Many of these programs want people that are currently working professionally in their chosen field and want to refine their skills. They want you to have real world experience so you will know what you want our of your education. If you have not assisted another designer in a professional environment or designed several times in a professional environment, you might want to consider holding off for a few years. This is not only to help build up your portfolio, but to fully ensure that this is what you want to do. Application deadlines for many Universitys is in January or February. Some have began accepting people already. Deadline for URTA is already over. Really, you are already too late to the game for the 2011 school year. URTA is really the place to find a grad school. There, a school chooses you then you can choose from the schools that want you. Its not a bad way to go.

Thanks for the input. I have already decided that I want to take at least 2 years off and work professionally in the field before I take a crack at grad school. I know I need the experience and honestly it would be nice to take a couple years off of school. I still have 3 semesters of undergrad left, but I want to investigate and get a list of possibilities that I can use when I go to apply. That whole 6-P rule thing.

Thanks for the input. I have already decided that I want to take at least 2 years off and work professionally in the field before I take a crack at grad school. I know I need the experience and honestly it would be nice to take a couple years off of school. I still have 3 semesters of undergrad left, but I want to investigate and get a list of possibilities that I can use when I go to apply. That whole 6-P rule thing.

Really take a look at URTA. You have 3 or 4 years before these is even going to become an issue for you. By then, you might have worked for people that have ties to a University and will be able to get you into them with very little effort. Right now, take plenty of pictures, document everything, and never say no to a gig that will teach you something. Oh, and enjoy the skiing and the winter in the Green Mountains!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back