Control/Dimming GrandMA1 Full-size or GrandMA2 Ultra light

Hi,

So as stated in the title, I have the choice between the MA1 full size console or the MA2 ultra light console. The MA1 is less expensive than the MA2.

Which one would be more worth it?? I've never programmed on an MA2, only the MA1. Is the learning curve large?? I know the MA2 is an industry standard nowadays but given the two options, what would be the smartest way to go about it?

The ultralite 2 kinda blows...... I would go fullsize MA1... if you know it came from a good home.

Who are you potentially buying the consoles from?

The reason I ask is if your going to buy the 2 from A.C.T Lighting go ahead and do that. The customer service that Bob Gordon provides is amazing!

Look at it this way, it is kinda like buying a new car vs an used car, a used car no matter what people may say about its condition you really don't know what its been through. A new car you know is coming straight off the lot to you with the manufacturers warranty. Just my two cents but if you can go new I would go that route.

There isnt a huge learning curve from 1 to 2 in my opinion.

http://consoletrainer.com

Check out this link for some great videos by Cat West on MA2 programming.

I actually don't mind the 2 Ultralite, depending on what you're doing with it - it's certainly worlds better than the 1 Series Lite and Ultralite in terms of physical layout from a programming standpoint. What is the intended use? If you're doing a lot of fast-paced busking, the lack of button space does get old really quick, so that would be a good reason to shy away from it. However, if the gig is slightly smaller or more laid back, you can make use of your view buttons to jump around to pools and presets reasonably quickly. If it's for theatre, you should be able to make the ultralite work for you as well. Remember that you still get two external monitors to display your sheets and sequences, and if you really wanted to, you could even make those into touchscreens as well. Yes, you only get 15 executors on the ultralite, but the full size 1 series only had 20 faders (instead of 30 on the 2 fullsize), so that's really not much of an improvement. As others have said, history is also a factor - if only the MA1 is used, you should take its past usage into account.

As for usability, I don't think you'd have a problem upgrading your programming knowledge from the 1 to the 2. The basic concepts are very similar, and there are some features that were not included on the 1 series that, in this day and age, will have you tearing your hair out. Depending on your past experience, one afternoon in front of the console with some YouTube videos will probably be enough to get you going on the MA2.

Short version: if you really think you need the extra touchscreen space and executors, go for the 1. If you can live without, go for the 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back