Greetings from Boston!

Taniith

Well, the thread about trying to get lurkers to post convinced me to at least post something to the newbie introductions board. I guess it's working.

For my actual "job," I'm a software engineer at a video game studio. In my free time, though, I volunteer as an assistant tech director at America's oldest community theatre. I largely focus on lighting, but I'm attempting to branch out and learn more about other areas. My workbench currently has a dimmer waiting for a new triac next to some clearcom headsets getting some maintenance.. so, you know, small steps.

My most recent design (BIG: The Musical) involved wiring up a giant piano and an actor-controled Zoltar box.

I have very much appreciated the knowledge I've been able to soak up by lurking, but I'll try to actually participate a little, where I can!

Welcome to the forum and good luck getting your seats (I peeked at your web site). Don't know if you've gotten bids yet, but to give an order of magnitude - we just put in 126 new seats at a cost of $26000, including installation. Had a good donor to start and then a 'seat campaign' for $350-$500 a seat. Purchaser gets a plaque on the armrest.

Welcome to the forum and good luck getting your seats (I peeked at your web site). Don't know if you've gotten bids yet, but to give an order of magnitude - we just put in 126 new seats at a cost of $26000, including installation. Had a good donor to start and then a 'seat campaign' for $350-$500 a seat. Purchaser gets a plaque on the armrest.
Thanks! Yeah, it's a heck of a thing. The board is saying our quote is in the $220,000 range, including replacing our 100+ year old wooden risers. We're trying to find lower cost solutions, though. This is immediately after a new sprinkler system, computerized fire alarm, and replacement slate roof. Never a dull moment with the fire department!

Welcome Aboard Taniith! I look forward to your participation. It really is fun after you get the hang of it. There are, in my opinion, a couple of great threads about remodeling and rebuilding old theatres. Seat Replacement is certainly not what it used to be though. Nowdays, once the ink is set on the paper and a date is decided on, the seat magically appear practically overnight! Just a few years ago it always seemed to take FOREVER for them to get installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back