Guide me to Fire Code?

CBR372

hey guys! I was wondering if any of you guys could lead me to any fire code related to paper decorations (similar to chinese lateens) used onstage hanging from a GP line. Our scenic designer would like to use some of these in her design and from what I can tell based off her ground plan, is that they will be well away from the electrics. Another piece of information is that we would like to wire lights into these paper orbs, something like a little globe light with a C-7 or C-9 base. I just want to see if there is anything out there that says we NEED to fireproof these, as fireproofing paper will ruin these. Our TD seems to think we do need to fireproof or bust but I'm just looking to find something that actually states that they must be fireproofed in order to be used.

Thanks Guys!

NFPA 701 is the guiding force behind almost all stage fire codes. It essentially lays out that anything onstage that catches fire has to extinguish itself after the ignition source has been removed.

Yes, they do need to be treated with a flame retardant chemical. It is possible to get Chinese lanterns that are treated with flame retardant. They are made with special paper. Remember, you are treating them with flame retardant, not making them flame proof!

You are going to have to do some digging to find them, but here is a lead: Flame retardant Chinese paper lantern for wedding decoration with CE and TUV certificate - Detailed info for Flame retardant Chinese paper lantern for wedding decoration with CE and TUV certificate,paper lantern,Flame retardant Chinese paper lantern

For what it's worth, Rosco does make a flame retardant specifically for paper and cardboard products: Flamex PC. It's relatively new; I personally haven't tried it out yet. As Footer suggested, I would first try to buy Chinese lanterns that are already treated. But, if you have paper decorations that aren't available pre-treated, this might be an option for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back