"Hairspray" Jail Breakout

thatactorguy

Hi Everyone! I like the new layout and the suggestions when entering a topic title...

Can of hairspray + lighter= bad news, huge risks, inconsistency, and potential for bookoo fines, not to mention major unwanted physical modifications on oneself or others unfortunately within the vicinity, intentional or not. These are things we should all know, but a visit to YouTube suggests otherwise...

I'm trying to come up with a way to do the jail breakout without actually using anything flammable. I'm working on a design involving cell core pvc, led lights, a 9v, and mechanical levers. I know it isn't even going to begin to approach realism, but the darn thing will be safe :) I have a scaled drawing that I drew, and am working off of it; modifications have been minimal thus far. I'm basing the design on the same principle as the light & silk flame pots...

Has anyone done the show- or a similar effect- and have suggestions that could speed me along? I will be happy to post my drawing once the prop is finished so I don't post a faulty design ;)

Hope you all had happy holidays and all that. I don't remember when I was last on...

I'd like to dig this thread back up. I'm doing this show soon and am looking for a solution. My TD wants to use an actual pyro though. It's preferred to be handheld but any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone seen some sort of effect like this? Also my TD is licensed and has experience with pyro.

If your TD is licensed in pyro, then he would be more qualified to answer this question. Honestly, I would be using Smoke in a Can with some battery operated LEDs to get the right color in the aerosol stream. I don't know if there is a product to simulate this in a safe way. A licensed pyro tech may know better, so let your TD work on this.

We bought a set when we did the show, so not my design, but made do with what we had. Our jail was a 4x4 deck with 10' EMT tubing for bars and cut metal screen wire tied to it. There was a toilet in it as well. The back was open completely. We taped a piece of flash paper to one of the back conduits and he light it with a lighter. He then grabbed a piece of loose conduit Velcroed to the back and threw it to the ground. Gave a good flash and distraction (he worked the crowd a bit with the loose piece) as she stepped out the back. Had extinguishers off stage waiting. Went good except for last show he could get the lighter to light...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back