Hanging Soft Goods without a pipe

btswift

Today at the last minute, as usual, the client in our black box space told us "btw we have this 12'x9' piece of cloth we need you to hang as a projection screen." I am from an electrical background and know very little about hanging soft goods from a truss system. My limited experience tells me two pipes would work the best. PROBLEM no pockets for pipes. We hung is from three point across the top and then two and the bottom. The theory was to pull it taught with four lines on the four corners and the fifth line to support the middle at the top. It looks really bad and I was wondering if there is a better way to hang such a cloth so it hangs flat and taut. Is there a better way to hang the make shift screen?

The fact that the screen has no pipe pocket or grommmets along the bottom means they are probably used to having people just attach it to a wall. If there are grommets along the bottom, you can zip-tie a pipe to it to give it some weight. As for hanging it, [removed]

Edit: I realized after reading this that my response may have been a verbotten "rigging" question.

Last edited:
I will tell you how to add things to make is a bit more like a standard drop, but how you get it into the air is your own business.

Build a clapboard. Take two pieces of 1x3 or 1x4 and run them on the top and bottom of the fabric. Basically, you are going to make a sandwich on the top and bottom with the fabric in between. Screw through the 1x3 to hold it together. Cover the lumber with paint or my favorite paint, black gaff, and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back