Hard Hats, Bump Caps, and Helmets

Ha ha, well I'm not a cowboy so the cowboy hat would be out and if I had the glow and the dark hat it would be harder to hide during any games of spotlight tag. ;)

I generally steer clear of Seton though because of the slew of catalogs they send me after every order. I swear they've spent more money on postage for catalogs than I've ever spent with them.:rolleyes:
Mouser is the same way! I bought 4 triacs and three days later I get a 50 lb. catalog. I guess I could just strap that on my head instead of a hard hat...

Mouser is the same way! I bought 4 triacs and three days later I get a 50 lb. catalog. I guess I could just strap that on my head instead of a hard hat...

Is it rated for hits? Also does it de-rate after a pin hitting it?

The paint and/or stickers, if not approved for use may react with the plastic and cause the hardhat to not do it's job. I am a baseball umpire and that has been drilled into our heads to not allow teams to customize their helmets. Hardhats are the same thing. Long story short it makes them brittle.

I was taught in my Stagecraft class that paint shouldn't be used due to reactions with the plastic. My professor said stickers/tape were okay. I've heard a number of people dislike stickers because they can hide cracks and wear when you inspect the hardhat.

I just leave my hardhat the plain gray that my class collectively decided upon because we couldn't find tie-dye hats...

I'm way late to this topic but I would advise shopping local for most PPE gear. Not only will you get advice about proper fit and be able to try things on, work safety stores are a lot of fun. Here are some ways to find a store near you.

-Just about every town over 15,000 people or so (especially if you have an "industrial district") also has an industrial safety store. Norco for example is a fairly large chain out here in the North West part of the country (and for the OP they even have a location in Salt Lake City). Search your local yellow pages.

-Sometimes welding supply places sell safety gear or they can tell you where to go to find it.

-If your city is large enough to have a Grainger store you'll find a nice collection of safety gear there.

-Some places have industrial clothing stores these aren't quite as fun as a full on safety store, but they do carry some PPE gear. You'll also find awesome Dickies, Carhartt, and work boots here.

-Finally many safety stores are going to sell safety products made by North. You can go to their website and use their dealer location tool.

EDIT:
I have created a collaborative article based on this topic. Please go to the new collaborative article "Shopping at a local safety equipment store" and enter the name of your favorite local store or chain.

Last edited:
Pin or Pen?

A pin. The part of a shackle you remove by screwing it. I would imagine that would be the easiest to drop, seeing as hooking it on something is inconvenient at best. I suppose you could also drop a pin from wardrobe, but they would probably hate you when the actor warming up sat on it, or a pen, but then the splatter on the helmet would be kind of trippy...

The hard hat should be approved according to EN 397, if you are in Europe. There are a lot of helmets used by riggers that do not look like standard hard hats but have a EN 397 certification even with ventilation. They also fulfill the requirements of EN 12492 for mountaineering equipment.

In Germany black hard hats were standardized especially for theatrical use and for chimney sweepers. Black hard hats are not available in stores, but can be ordered on request immediately.

I found hard hats extremely useful. A dimmable led lamp fixed to the helmet can be much better than any loose flashlight held in the hand. Normally extra holders and ear protection can be adapted for wireless intercoms without tampering the helmet structure.

There are also helmets approved for electricians with visor shield.

Helmets

My local just added helmets to our list of things we need to start bringing on the job(Surprised it hasn't happened sooner) and I was wondering what you all use company-wise. I had been thinking about getting one of the Petzl Elios Helmets. But I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas or preferences. I haven't really asked anyone in our local yet, But I plan to when I get the chance. But here is the one that I found that seems like the best buy at the moment. Though if there is a better suggested one, I will definitely be putting it into consideration.

Closeout - Petzl Elios Helmet A42

Re: Helmets

Are they paying for them? if not they can't require you to bring them. Out of all the places I've worked, I've only seen one person wear a helmet. It was a down rigger, and he was making fun of a newbie up rigger.

Is this required for up-riggers, or is this a general requirement? For anyone working on the ground, you can get a simple hard hat for a fraction of that price which will work perfectly well for anyone on the ground. Are they requiring chin straps?

Agreed. They can't require you to buy equipment for work. They can make you wear a specific style of clothing, etc., as long as it doesn't have logos and etc., which would prevent you from wearing it outside work.

And helmets? What, welding helmets? Do you mean hard hats?

The company that owns the theatre and the arena has asked us- as well as the other house staff to begin wearing hard hats while riggers are in the air. The company will be providing helmets but we being encouraged to buy our own. I am making no complaints since I was considering it anyways- this is just more reason for me to do it. I am just looking for something that's comfortable and going to be easy to work in. ie; tilting my head about, not having my upper vision impaired by the front lip, etc. But I want something that is going to be OSHA approved if I ever went into a venue in the future that requires it(if that is ever an issue).

OSHA requires that a hard hat meet the specifications of the ANSI Z89.1 standard. Guide to Hard Hat Requirements Many sport/mountaineering/rock climbing headwear is not acceptable as a hard hat, but may be suitable as a bump cap.
From Conney Safety – Safety Products, Personal Protective Safety Equipment, First Aid Supplies, OSHA Compliance :

What is the difference between a hard hat and a bump cap?

• Hard Hats are OSHA-required, ANSI-compliant head protection
  • Bump Caps are not regulated and not approved in areas where objects may fall
  • Bump Caps do protect against lacerations
-----
Agreed. They can't require you to buy equipment for work. They can make you wear a specific style of clothing, etc., as long as it doesn't have logos and etc., which would prevent you from wearing it outside work. ...
Perhaps a gray area? If they can require, but not pay for, black clothing and steel-toed footwear, why not a hard hat? Mandatory tool lists, anyone?

Last edited:

So, Curious question about the OSHA approved hardhats. What are they rated to take as far as impacts go? If a shackle falls from 100' and slams into the hardhat, will you come out of it with anything more than a concussion? I ask because at that point I wondered how "worth it" the hardhat is to have since a shackle or a wrench is the most common to fall with what we do, if at that hieght and momentum if the hardhat is really going to protect you enough to not permenantly do damage.

And if the mountain climbing helmets are more used as bump caps and not hardhats, is there a reason why companies like Feld and Cirque haven't been requiring the employees to wear OSHA approved gear? Juuust curious. I'm actually now in a more curious and fascinated mood. :)

Agreed. They can't require you to buy equipment for work. They can make you wear a specific style of clothing, etc., as long as it doesn't have logos and etc., which would prevent you from wearing it outside work.

I disagree, they totally can. I am required to show up every time with a pair of gloves, an adjustable C wrench, and a multi-tool, in blacks and black steel toed shoes. Its kind of assumed you will get those things yourself. Now, I will accept that a GOOD company will help you pay for stuff or provide it, but many wont, because why would they? And realistically, a hard hat or helmet is something I rather expect to see starting to make it onto required gear lists.

I have a feeling Cirque and Feld are not using climbing helmets, but helmets with straps that look similar but are not. Petzl does make those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back