Mixers/Consoles Headphones for live rec.

DiscoBoxer

I am looking for recommendations on a pair of closed headphones that can be used at the console in a typically loud live event, to monitor record-aux. Booth/console is not isolated from live room and find it a pain to get a decent record mix using current "open" style headphones for obvious reasons. Isolating record to another console is not a current option and neither is post editing-mixing.

Wanting to buy something reasonably priced (<$300, less is best if effective). I have some ideas and read reviews, but want to hear from those who use in application.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

The 280s are decent. The current version of the ExtremeHeadphones EX29 are better however - more natural across the spectrum, and better isolation as a bonus. M-Audio IE-10s sound better as well, but I'd have to compare to speak about which has better isolation.

I would not care to use 7506s for anything. Poor fidelity and poor isolation.

The Extreme Headphones EX-29 or GK Ultraphones would fit the bill. I wouldn't mind in-ear monitor types, but would HIGHLY recommend you get custom molds if you go that route. That way, you never have to worry about the fit being wrong (unless the molds are made incorrectly).

Westone, Futuresonics, LiveWires...take a look around.

Good suggestions so far, I will take a listen to some of these and see what turns the best result.

Thanks for your help!

Disco

The Extreme Headphones EX-29 or GK Ultraphones would fit the bill. I wouldn't mind in-ear monitor types, but would HIGHLY recommend you get custom molds if you go that route. That way, you never have to worry about the fit being wrong (unless the molds are made incorrectly).

Westone, Futuresonics, LiveWires...take a look around.

The GK definitely sound better than the 7506, but the EX-29 are more natural than the GK.

The trouble with molds is that if you don't like the sound, you are SOL (I don't think the new LiveWires company has the 30 day guarantee, and that was the only money back guarantee I've heard of).

Have you considered In-ear monitors? They provide more isolation than closed headphones and the sound quality can be quite good.
I've just ordered a set of M-Audio IE-30s from B&H for 199.95 with free shipping. The M-Audio In-ears are actually a partnership with Ultimate Ears, who have been making top-shelf ear monitors for quite a while. Ear monitors take some getting used to. Most new users will say....they don't have any bass. What they don't have is exagerated bass. The bass is tight and controlled, and accurate. No smiley face eq here. Also, they take a few days of use for your ears to adjust. I started with the Shure in-ears and I'm hooked on using in-ears for FOH work.

I am looking for recommendations on a pair of closed headphones that can be used at the console in a typically loud live event, to monitor record-aux. Booth/console is not isolated from live room and find it a pain to get a decent record mix using current "open" style headphones for obvious reasons. Isolating record to another console is not a current option and neither is post editing-mixing.

Wanting to buy something reasonably priced (<$300, less is best if effective). I have some ideas and read reviews, but want to hear from those who use in application.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

The GK definitely sound better than the 7506, but the EX-29 are more natural than the GK.

The trouble with molds is that if you don't like the sound, you are SOL (I don't think the new LiveWires company has the 30 day guarantee, and that was the only money back guarantee I've heard of).

Yes, but there's more to the sound of something than the driver. The GK back chamber is different, and they surround the ear instead of sitting upon it. I find that the lows are less lumpy and the highs are less steely as compared to the 7506. Not to mention the far superior isolation. Still not my first choice, or maybe my second or third, but better than the 7506.

Yes, but there's more to the sound of something than the driver.
Of course.

But, am I missing something, or wouldn't the fidelity be the same when you use the same driver? How does the poor fidelity in Sony's design change to good fidelity with GK's design? Or, do I have an incorrect definition of fidelity, and thats what's confusing me?

Any guidance you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I don't feel the in-ears would be a good choice in this scenario because the headphones are shared. Also, I do agree with custom molds and that along with sanitary reasons make them a non-option in this app.

As for the difference in sound from the same driver in a different manufacturers housing.... I do not claim to be an expert on this but know from my speaker building days, that driver performance is drastically affected by it's enclosure. Not sure so much if it's noticed on this small scale but the sound waves coming off of the back of a driver vs. that of the front are 180 degrees out of phase. Depending on some configs of the enclosure, the "bounceback" could also have slight delay from the inside wall of the enclosure if not sealed or reflected properly, thus effecting clarity. You could also have resonance from the housing that can effect the sound as well, that may have been remediated by the different manufacturer. Other than the resonance issue, not sure much could be noticed from this small scale but theoretically possible.

Of course.

But, am I missing something, or wouldn't the fidelity be the same when you use the same driver? How does the poor fidelity in Sony's design change to good fidelity with GK's design? Or, do I have an incorrect definition of fidelity, and thats what's confusing me?

Any guidance you have is greatly appreciated.

As stated above, the environment behind the driver is quite different, and the environment between the driver and the ear is quite different. This can make a significant change in the sound. On Grados (my favorite) for instance, there are two different cushions available. Many complain that the more comfortable ones don't sound as good - the space between the driver and the ear is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back