heavy voice effect after or before the recording session?

Anonymous067

I'm recording some lines for the upcoming show I'm working on, and the idea here is to make the girls voice sound almost as though she's one of those creepy guys on the cop TV shows who calls with the ransom...the "disguised" voice.

What I'm wondering is should I record her voice normal, then play it back and add the effect, or put the effect in as she's speaking live (still being recorded, not during the actual show). Does it make a difference?

I agree with everyone else. I would record her clean and add the effect after I had recorded her voice clean--and I would get several takes of her saying the lines..perhaps some in different ways if possible.

Unless you have a specific effect you know very well for settings and mix and eq, you will probably want to experiment and try variations or changes to fit her vocal inflections and vocal dynamics of the words as she speaks them...so this way you have a clean voice to try things out on to adjust later in post or try different blends on. Also--some effects that alter the pitch or detune can have some muddled or unexpected sounds come out when it comes to sibilance or certain inflections in how words can be said--you don't want to record that and not be able to work with it..this happens especially when you are detuning a voice lower in pitch which sometimes can slow down or blur the enunciations....yet another reason you want a clean sample to make adjustments on to find the right balance...

Its good you don't want to try and do this live for the show--that can be quite a pain and issue sometimes and lead to unexpected issues.. For example--years ago I got this one gig as a favor to friend and had to make a 10year old sound like the 'great and powerful oz' in Wizard of Oz once....and we tried it live during the show first night and the kid got far more excited and acted with far more enthusiasm and vocal change during the show then he did in rehearsals when we tested, EQ'd and set it to the directors desire etc--so his energy change and over-enthusiasm to say the lines mucked up the whole effect..and this can happen with almost any actor. The energy of a show can change things in delivery. The great and powerful Oz sounded like the adults on a Charlie Brown Xmas were channeling Liberace....wah wah waah wah..but...much higher...and it got more laughs then oohs and aaaahs. So after that I recorded him clean, added the effect post and adjusted to redub it for final--and it was a playback they mixed in for show.. MUCH better...and channeled some of teh effect to the subs and it got the Ooohs and Aaaahs it should have. Sure I could have recorded him with the effect in rehearsal--but having the option to make adjustments and try different things out on a clean voice is giving you the most options possible...

JMO....

-w

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else. I would record her clean and add the effect after I had recorded her voice clean--and I would get several takes of her saying the lines..perhaps some in different ways if possible.

Unless you have a specific effect you know very well for settings and mix and eq, you will probably want to experiment and try variations or changes to fit her vocal inflections and vocal dynamics of the words as she speaks them...so this way you have a clean voice to try things out on to adjust later in post or try different blends on. Also--some effects that alter the pitch or detune can have some muddled or unexpected sounds come out when it comes to sibilance or certain inflections in how words can be said--you don't want to record that and not be able to work with it..this happens especially when you are detuning a voice lower in pitch which sometimes can slow down or blur the enunciations....yet another reason you want a clean sample to make adjustments on to find the right balance...

Its good you don't want to try and do this live for the show--that can be quite a pain and issue sometimes and lead to unexpected issues.. For example--years ago I got this one gig as a favor to friend and had to make a 10year old sound like the 'great and powerful oz' in Wizard of Oz once....and we tried it live during the show first night and the kid got far more excited and acted with far more enthusiasm and vocal change during the show then he did in rehearsals when we tested, EQ'd and set it to the directors desire etc--so his energy change and over-enthusiasm to say the lines mucked up the whole effect..and this can happen with almost any actor. The energy of a show can change things in delivery. The great and powerful Oz sounded like the adults on a Charlie Brown Xmas were channeling Liberace....wah wah waah wah..but...much higher...and it got more laughs then oohs and aaaahs. So after that I recorded him clean, added the effect post and adjusted to redub it for final--and it was a playback they mixed in for show.. MUCH better...and channeled some of teh effect to the subs and it got the Ooohs and Aaaahs it should have. Sure I could have recorded him with the effect in rehearsal--but having the option to make adjustments and try different things out on a clean voice is giving you the most options possible...

JMO....

-w

Thanks so much! Just curious, how exactly did you make the wizard of oz sound? That's pretty much the sound I'm going for here! What software/effects did you use?

Only thing I'd add to what's been said is: if you have the effect chain set up at the recording session, and you think that the actor might give a better performance if she hears the effected sound in her ears, then split the signal (or use 2 mics) to record a clean track and an effected track. That gives you the flexibility to change it later, but gives the actor something to work with during the session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back