Hello, everyone!

My name is Chris, and I am very new to the theater world, including the technical aspect. I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from the great tech crew we have at our local community theater. We just finished hosting the first weekend of Kaleidoscope 2015 in Richland, WA. I was in charge of lighting for one of the companies (the host company) selected to move on to the regional competition.

I met some amazing people from the visiting companies, and one of them directed me to look here for guidance. Due to my general inexperience in theater, I'm now very nervous. I want to provide the best possible tech support for my entire cast and crew.

Fortunately for me, the production is not very fast-paced and has relatively simple lighting cues. I've been informed the board we will be working with will be an ETC Ion 1000. I've been to their website already and watched the training videos they have available.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can find a complete manual? Or any other way I can prepare/familiarize myself with the equipment I will be working with?

Also, if anyone has any tips for setting up in a new theater quickly and efficiently, it would be a great help. And trust me, I realize how general this question is, but I'm so new that any advice you can offer will undoubtedly be helpful.

Thank you,

~Chris

My name is Chris, and I am very new to the theater world, including the technical aspect. I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from the great tech crew we have at our local community theater. We just finished hosting the first weekend of Kaleidoscope 2015 in Richland, WA. I was in charge of lighting for one of the companies (the host company) selected to move on to the regional competition.

I met some amazing people from the visiting companies, and one of them directed me to look here for guidance. Due to my general inexperience in theater, I'm now very nervous. I want to provide the best possible tech support for my entire cast and crew.

Fortunately for me, the production is not very fast-paced and has relatively simple lighting cues. I've been informed the board we will be working with will be an ETC Ion 1000. I've been to their website already and watched the training videos they have available.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can find a complete manual? Or any other way I can prepare/familiarize myself with the equipment I will be working with?

Also, if anyone has any tips for setting up in a new theater quickly and efficiently, it would be a great help. And trust me, I realize how general this question is, but I'm so new that any advice you can offer will undoubtedly be helpful.

Thank you,

~Chris
The ion is a great board and you can download off line version called Nomad here to play with as you watch the video. You can also download a manual and latest revisions.

As for setting up a new theater, I'll assume you mean light on the ION.

First define your stage zones. Usually terms like down right and so on. Make a chart. Then aim all your fixtures noting the address on your chart or a cheat sheet. Dimmer check is useful here.
Next patch your channels to those addressses (Fixtures). I like to match my channels 1 to DR, 2 to DMR, 3 to DC and so on. Channel 6 thru 10 might be the back light for the down stage. Then mid stage and finally up stage. I would suggest then subs to match them and load them on your faders 1 thru 5, 6 thru 10. This gives you quick hands on. Lay each finger of your left hand on a slider... instant control.

Then add specials, color washes, and cyc. Keep it logical to you and others who may use the board.
If your running leds then groups can be your friend. Let put your cyc led fixturres on group 20. Type group 20 at and open a ml tab.... instant control.

If you have followed this so far there is even more like putting the groups on direct select buttons.

The big take away is start logically and simple. Play and understand. Then move up to a new functions.

If you get to questions search CB first. Then start a new thread with the questions in the title. Like "Help with ION effects"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back