Hello from new member in Seattle

Greeting's to all members. I am a theatre consultant in Seattle and I look forward to reading what other members have to say or to contribute to any threads. I also hope to learn from others what their favorite equipment is and also to hear the gripes of what works/doesn't work in the theatres they work in. This helps me when I am consulting on a project. I work for a architectural lighting design firm that is a division of a electrical engineering firm. We not only offer Theatre Consulting, Lighting and Electrical Engineering, we also offer Acoustical Design and A/V Design.

I have a MFA from CAL-ARTS and a BA Comprehensive from Western Il. University. If you are a alumni from either school, I would love to hear from your.

I also was an apprentice electrician for the Santa Fe Opera in 1982. If you are a former apprentice or staff member from around that time period, I would love to get in touch.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading all the postings and threads.

Welcome Consultant4Theatre. You'll certainly find much of what you seek by using the search feature. You're also a likely candidate to improve the CB wiki. You didn't happen to consult on a black box theatre at a community college did you?

Consider adding your schooling to Controlbooth Member College Demographics.

1982 at SFO; Craig Miller was the staff LD? See also I thought for sure someone would have posted this by now. Catwalks look familiar?
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/consultant4theatre.html

derekleffew:

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me (or give me a link) to the name of the community college black box? I have consulted on a few plus I used to work for another theatre consultant before going out on my own. Yes, Craig Miller was the LD when I was at Santa Fe. Peter Kaczorowski was also the LD for one opera. (Craig did the rest). Michael Lincoln and Michael Baumgartner were the Assistant LD's. We also had a focus tape and Phred the focus fish. (Imagine a stuffed gold fish tied to a rope hanging from a catwalk; used to practice following a object with our followspots). It was a great summer at SFO.

I looked at the Youtube spoof the techs did in the catwalk. Those are the new catwalks; the theatre was renovated back in the early 2000's. I was there in 1982 with the old catwalks. Those had grating and single pipes. No Source Fours. Only tons of Kliegl stage lights (worst ever made) and Altmans. We never wore knee pads when we focused. I would like to go back to visit and see the changes that were made.

I will take a look at the CB Wiki and add my schooling to the College Demographics.

Thanks for the insight to this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back