Help finding and naming a bracket

erosing

The Royal Renaissance Man
Premium Member
So I'm looking for a bracket, I know they exist because I've seen them a few times, but I never thought to ask if they were stock or custom pieces. Anyways on to the bracket, it looks like the attached files below. When I've seen them they were either 1/16" or 1/8" plate about 3 inches wide and long 90º on the center section, they also have mounting holes on the wings. Anyone have a lead where I could find these, or what they would be called?

I paged through McMaster's brackets and didn't see them, I'm going through Grainger now, already searched through Home Depot as well. But I haven't seen them yet.

EDIT: Attached rough drafting example to illustrate better.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 9.57.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 9.57.51 PM.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 9.58.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 9.58.22 PM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 10.57.51 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 10.57.51 PM.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 10.58.30 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 10.58.30 PM.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 10.59.06 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 10.59.06 PM.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
To what use would this alleged, mythical "bracket" be used for? From the vague description and diagrams, the closest resemblance is to one half of a Gridlock Clamp.

Attaching wheels to a board at an angle for a camera dolly to ride on pipe.

Yeah, pretty close to that, but some of the ones I've seen weren't welded.

Learn to weld your own!:)

I was afraid you were going to say that. :(

Last edited:
I have built those... Its totally doable, just takes too much time for something that can be purchases that does the same thing. There is another option, however. If you have not bought the pipe, casters, or.... well... anything...
proxy.php

V Groove casters. If you get a big enough groove, they will even ride on a piece of pipe rather well. They are designed to run on angle iron and do that great. Just throwing that out there...

Either that, or follow the instructions on that site.

Last edited:
I saw those when I was looking through McMaster's stuff and wondered if they would work on pipe, now I will be recommending that as an option, thanks. Nothing has been purchased, this is just something that I'm asked about building every summer by a videographer I work with and it is getting to that time so I figured I would ask around this year.

I saw those when I was looking through McMaster's stuff and wondered if they would work on pipe, now I will be recommending that as an option, thanks. Nothing has been purchased, this is just something that I'm asked about building every summer by a videographer I work with and it is getting to that time so I figured I would ask around this year.

Can't remember the company but in the past year I remember something like that made for focusing lights. Kind of like a dolly for people along truss. I'm sure a number of companies have them for truss work now but individual brackets... not seen this.

Easy enough for some metals shop to bend for you given how far you have gotten in presnting your question. Probably cheaper to have it made for you if you finish up your drawing with dimensions. Bending the plates verses welding them.. good question on which cheaper but probably cheaper to bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back