Recommendations for tool lanyards?

Ravenbar

I've been looking to upgrade my old standby of a bit of tieline for tool lanyards. This will be primarily for lighting related tools, so cresent wrench, screwdrivers(how would I even hook to one), and the like.

For the past few years, I've been mainly using a Kobalt electricians shoulder toolbag that zips shut, so I can carry/drag it through whatever understage area or catwalk I need, and not be losing tools, or risk dropping items on students heads, as they don't pay much attention to what I'm doing overhead and wander under my work area often. Nearly hit a student a couple weeks ago when a gobo frame I'd preloaded randomly fell out of a fixture I was hanging, and they were hanging around a few feet from where I was overhead. After that, I started choking the safety cable to the yoke, and clipping the end of the safety cable into the hole in the gobo frame handle until I'd got it hung, as I locate the gobo slot in the up position, and gravity keeps it there once hung, rather than rely on the gobo frame handle to support a fallen fixture.

I only work on one show per year(local HS's musical), and it's production week, so not looking to spend a fortune, and also would like multiple just so I can leave them with commonly used tools and/or in different kits.

I see Setwear sells them for $20-30 ea, but I can pick up a 12pk on Amazon(rated at 8kg-17.6lbs) for $36.

I’ve used these for years. The detachable ones are cool, as you can swap out the tool on the lanyard quickly.
https://www.ergodyne.com/dropped-objects/tool-lanyards
Looks interesting, but the price tag is a massive YIKES. If I wanted something like that, with the buckle clips, I'd make my own, as I have 2 giant ziplocks full of misc bag hardware, and quite a number of the plastic buckles in those(name brands, as I picked the bags up at a yard sale for $20/ea.)

Looks interesting, but the price tag is a massive YIKES. If I wanted something like that, with the buckle clips, I'd make my own, as I have 2 giant ziplocks full of misc bag hardware, and quite a number of the plastic buckles in those(name brands, as I picked the bags up at a yard sale for $20/ea.)
maybe explore whose liability insurance gets activated if/when a student does get beaned, then weigh the cost of the squid (purpose-tested) vs. a home-made solution.

maybe explore whose liability insurance gets activated if/when a student does get beaned, then weigh the cost of the squid (purpose-tested) vs. a home-made solution.
My point being that nearly $50 for an item rated at 1-2lbs, vs an item from Amazon that I can get a $12pk for $36 that is rated for 17.6lbs, vs a piece of tie line, cost vs benefit equals not the $50/1-2lb solution. For the past decade, a bit to tieline, if anything has served the purpose, I'm extremely cautious when students or anyone else are in the space when I suspect anything couild possibly fall. As I stated in my initial post, A gobo frame falling from a fixture was a first for me, as they usually require a decent amount of force as the seldom used gobo slots are usually filled with crud and/or corroded so a gobo frame falling out wasn't something I'd seen happen before.

They upgraded the system and I'm now dealing with many different C-clamp bolt drive sizes, so the 11/16-3/4 12pt ratchet wrench I've long used(with a 3' bit of tierline tied and tapped to it) doesn't fit the new clamps, which have a smaller square drive bolt. I've gotten soft in the past few years, only carrying a cheap ratchet wrench or 2(one size(red) fit all the yoke bolts and c-clamp bolts), and a smaller one(green) was for the "Jesus"/"fark me" yoke rotate bolts.

I'm firmly in the squids camp(manufacturer ergodyne - @egilson1 linked above) - I have a couple of the 3100 series - which start at a much more reasonable $13 each. They've worked well for me for years(had to replace the carabiners a couple times, but the lanyard is still in great condition)

Last edited:
I am very hesitant to buy products like this from Amazon. It may say that it can hold 17 lbs, but how is that actually tested? It may say that it is "rated" to that amount, but has any actual testing proven that or is that just a guess? Based on the reviews the carabiners are awful and the quality control is severely lacking.

To quote a 2-star review:

Absolute Junk
The stitching is bad enough I anticipate them to come apart with normal use in a few months. They do not bare any markings with wll or ansi rating. The gates don't line up at all causing them to stick open. The screws on the gates also easily over and under screw. I wouldn't trust these to hold anything while working overhead. Very disappointing.

Update:

I just received a pair of the Ergodye Squids 3100F(x)'s(10lb), a Squids 3177 anchor strap(60lb), and a pair of the 3171 belt anchors(5lb)as well. I've also ordered some of their tool tails, tool shackles, and tether rings. I'm sure as I get things worked out, I'll be ordering a couple more bits.

My only real issue at the moment is figuring out how to tether screwdrivers, as the retrofit bit Ergodyne lists for that purpose I can't seem to find for sale.

Klein website obviously to look into but doubt cheaper. Interesting cited above, I might look into them.

What has not been mentioned is almost dropping on student. If in the grid or catwalk there should not be anyone without helmet even to the extent of something like crossing guards to prevent people, or a coned off area. In general, clear the stage is a term used when working overhead to be used. And in communication of what is going on, everyone in the theater should know what is going on overhead. I never start work overhead when someone is in the area wandering in, warning I'm in the grid above you etc. in getting them out of the way.

This is the best fallen shackle, dropping a light down or tool solution first start. Nobody in the area. Everyone knows what you are doing. Stoppage of work if someone under you comes into the drop area without communication that the person below is in a work zone. A clear barrior zone below you in you, or better yet safety guard person with helmet protecting the area, or zoned off area you are working in. If someone wandering in is a concern... adjust your safety level higher. About 30 years of doing tech, I do not remember ever anyone in the area of a dropped tool of fitting allowed.

Safey cables for tools is a good thing after the initial problem. Had to invent figure 8 wire rope safety rings for my DeWalt powertools just to attach a lanyard to. Other power tools I was able to attach "Madana" clip loops to. A "Madana" clip is a length web loop attached to a snap hook used in touring for attaching cable to chain hoist slides. Some versions are very much tossed into the trash when I see them. Others are viable and useful for not just chain slides for cable looms, but for tools.

Last edited:
What has not been mentioned is almost dropping on student. If in the grid or catwalk there should not be anyone without helmet even to the extent of something like crossing guards to prevent people, or a coned off area. In general, clear the stage is a term used when working overhead to be used. And in communication of what is going on, everyone in the theater should know what is going on overhead. I never start work overhead when someone is in the area wandering in, warning I'm in the grid above you etc. in getting them out of the way.

This is the best fallen shackle, dropping a light down or tool solution first start. Nobody in the area. Everyone knows what you are doing. Stoppage of work if someone under you comes into the drop area without communication that the person below is in a work zone. A clear barrior zone below you in you, or better yet safety guard person with helmet protecting the area, or zoned off area you are working in. If someone wandering in is a concern... adjust your safety level higher. About 30 years of doing tech, I do not remember ever anyone in the area of a dropped tool of fitting allowed.

If I could get solo time in the space or get anyone to wear a helmet, it would give me a heart attack. This is the kind of space that still has their original 1979 crank up manlift who's clutch if trashed, and although 2-3 more lifts have "replaced" it, and it requires special permission to actually crank it up(as it's main use is a roll around 6' ladder that weight ~ a ton,) it still gets occasionally used. I've witnessed someone unexpectedly have that thing collapse when the clutch failed back in ~2004. I was recently told that guy had that happen twice, and I had it drop a couple feet on me at one point as well. There are 2 much newer versions of it in the space that do 99% of the work, as well as the school having an electric manlift as well. I suggested several times this year that a dumpster should be positioned outside the loading dock and run that thing off dock into it. I mean tha safety standards in the space are so low, that in the shared pictures folder post show(specifically of strike) had students(that had been heavily involved in set construction(being BOCES students for construction))showed them standing up on the middle rail of the raised manlifts. I saw it, and my first thought was that these kids have bright futures, as I've seen some sketch crap done even by the bigger contractors here(payloader with forks picks up a pallet and guys stand on the pallet as a lift platform to get 10' off the ground, not even harnesses present.) We have a man basket for the forklift at work, the company training says fall protection is required... bring it up, and we are told that it has a railing, so no fall protection required. I did once have a manager attempt me to the forklift mast with heavy chains, in such a way as would tighten when raises, as the man basket was tippy(I'd run over to the plant from the office with the forklift and quickly grabbed the basket, with one fork tip going under the pocket it was supposed to be in, someone else jumped on to raise me up,)_ and I realized one fork tip was under the pocket, so his response was to chain me to the mast. I was knocking melting snow overhangs off the roof over doors that day, but got revenge as I literally crushed the ice machine with the massive snow drift I knocked on top of it.

We have no catwalks or grid access to locations above the pit/stage without those manlifts, that don't have a ceiling below them. When the gobo frame was dropped, there were only 2-3 other people in the space, all working on scenic painting; and I was only 8-10ft up doing a trial hang of a fixture for projecting stars(ultimately ended up using a low front of stage position.) 1-2 of those people were within 15ft of where I was in the air. As I in no way expected a gobo frame to fall out of the fixture(as I usually have to fight to get the frames into the fixtures and these were no exception, I'd expected the friction to hold them in place), it took me a moment to realize that had even dropped.

These productions are so far on the amateur side of things that there is no real stage management, all communications going through the director, and as most of the production team work at the school while I work in a recycling plant, communications between groups are limited and we have no idea of each others schedules. i.e. this year on Wed. of production week, I went in early at ~8am(I usually start around 9-10am), to get Act 2 programmed(which is usually a Tuesday task, but too many of my own notes meant I didn't get there before rehearsal.) ~9:30, the assistant scenic guy(if I had to give him a position title);formerly the elementary principle, came in and said he had a tour coming in at ~10am. Not a big deal usually, as its usually just a walk-through the set and quick discussion of the show taking maybe an hour or 2, turned into 4 and a half hours of groups coming inf, having a sit down discussion about the show then having a big tour of the set including some of the moving set pieces functioning; It was fun to give the kids a show, but I lost 4:30 of time I'd needed to program the board but somehow I got that all accomplished in the hour between the tours stopped and the cast starting arriving for mic checks and dinner(I need a dark house to program, so not able to program during that time. As we open on Thursday for a 3 night run, all day I had it running through my mind that we would be opening to untested act 2 programming, and as this is only the 3rd show I've done with an EOS console, there would definitely be problems.

Essentially, I'm the entire lighting dept. Everything from hanging the lights to rig design and figuring out cue placement is 99% on me(although the director has often given me a script with her thoughts on cue placement.) I did the cue placement entirely myself, as the director didn't realize up until a week before opening night that I didn't have access to Kami(a school PDF editor they used for the shared PDF for script edits, and she'd already put a bunch of lighting cues in there. Was a bit funny to see the schools Technology coordinator struggling with such a common app as Microsoft OneNote, which is what I'd used for my digital version of the script, having imported the PDF into, was honestly a bit comical.

I've suggested, and they seem interested in bringing in an "intern" from the nearby Crane School of Music to help me next year. Prior to this show, I'd given enough messages saying "I need help" and "you have no one that can replace me", as well as some saying I'm interested in other areas of the show, that in the first production meeting, I was asked if I'd gotten bored and if they needed to find someone else. My reply was that EOS was challenging me to the point it was negatively impacting my ability to do the show to my own standards. They said they'd arrange a training session with Syracuse Stage and Lighting, in late Feb/early-Mar, but that fell through as SSSL had no time for a training session in that time. In hindsight, I figured out what I needed anyway. Prior to my involvement, the director did an overnight or 2 focusing the rig, and it was all run off faders.

As the current director has worked with no one but me for lighting, and I'm well aware she's never had the experience of lighting more than what the rigs I put in can provide. I honestly thought she knew more up until whe told me that the only new fixtues she could identify 3yrs after the upgrade wer propars. She's explained that it's not a matter of interest, but rather the time needs of her other jobs within the school keeping her from learning. In the past, I've thought of taking a "janitor" job at the school which would quickly morph into this as well.

Wow! At some point your initial thoughts of breaking with the theater are more sensible than working for the school. Leave the plot that is there or a rep. plot. Sorry thing and there is probably other theater's in the area you can go to, but your help here could injure people it would seem. Just a thought in if they won't be safe, perhaps take away that part of the unsafe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back