Help me create suburbia!

Henning

So I'm currently working on the sound design for a competition One Act called "Detriot". The show looks at suburbia and the condition of the modern day neighborhood.

For my design I need an accurate reference point for what a suburb sounds like, that's where my problem lies.

Living in Minnesota, I can't just walk outside and listen; The snow has changed the way my suburb sounds. I was wondering if anyone living in a warm weather suburban area could record and upload a 5 minute clip of what their suburb sounds like.

I will not be using this for the actual cue, I am only using it as a reference.

suburbia? Heck, I am trying to move away from and stay out of suburbia!

This might sound crazy, but the SimCity and Cities Skylines games (if you own them or know someone who does) have fantastic suburb audio files that were captured live instead of foley-created. Even better, you could theoretically customize your city to the extent of choosing how much of any one sound type (residential, commercial, industrial, transportation, etc) you hear. i.e., max out the number of roads and highways for more traffic noise, or build more parks and preserves for quieter, more friendly neighborhood noise.

I promise I'm not just plugging a game! :dance:

This might sound crazy, but the SimCity and Cities Skylines games (if you own them or know someone who does) have fantastic suburb audio files that were captured live instead of foley-created. Even better, you could theoretically customize your city to the extent of choosing how much of any one sound type (residential, commercial, industrial, transportation, etc) you hear. i.e., max out the number of roads and highways for more traffic noise, or build more parks and preserves for quieter, more friendly neighborhood noise.

I promise I'm not just plugging a game! :dance:

I second this, although not a solution I would have thought of this seems like a really sound way to get the feel you want. Both games can be had for pretty cheap through a site like g2a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back