Help needed: dimensions and weight of concrete base required.

We have an art project that involves a steel structure. The structure weighs around 200KG; it is 3 meters tall and 1 meter wide. It will be exposed to wind outdoors of around 38m/s. What are the dimensions and weight of concrete base required to hold this structure so that there is no chance of it toppling? The structure will fit into the base through steel sleeves inserted into the concrete.

x2 on talking to a qualified engineer. The shape of the base and the height above the ground that the project is suspended will come into play, as will the shape of the sculpture (or whatever the art project is). It may be (practically) necessary to anchor it into the ground with footings or something rather than relying on weight alone to keep it in place and upright. 38 m/s (around 85 mph) is a very strong wind indeed; a category 1 hurricane, the least severe hurricane designation, has sustained winds in the range of 74 to 95 mph.

You need a local, licensed structural engineer to specify that foundation for you. This is not the kind of information you should be crowd-sourcing.

Source: I work for an engineering firm and deal with structural engineers quite often. Even art installations in public parks are coordinated with them.

My peeps over at Clark Reder can help you out and are very reasonable on pricing.

My peeps over at Clark Reder can help you out and are very reasonable on pricing.

OP's location is Qatar. I doubt Clark Reder's PE's will want to practice in a foreign country in which they are not licensed, even if the work they are doing may or may not require S&S drawings.

OP's location is Qatar. I doubt Clark Reder's PE's will want to practice in a foreign country in which they are not licensed, even if the work they are doing may or may not require S&S drawings.
Valid observation. CR does do international work, so it might be worth an email.

@ConcreteBase, I just want to jump in here and agree with @egilson1 and everyone else. You need to have someone- in person- with the proper qualifications onsite have a look at your project. There are far too many variables to be able to give an adequate and safe solution over the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back