Control/Dimming help with GRAND MA lighting console

dacahe

Hello everyone, a need to brush up on my GRAND MA skills, does anybody know a good place to do that?

I tried ACT lighting but they can't accommodate me, anybody knows a different place?

I am in the L.A. area.

Thanks

It is certainly with regret that we were not able to squeeze you into a class between now and January 7th. Unfortunately, our training calendar does tend to fill up at least about a month in advance.

As Derek mentioned, the next best opportunity to get your hands on a console would be to contact someone in the area who has them. A couple of options might be VER, ELS, or Epic (if you fancy a drive out to Oxnard). Give any one of them a call. While they might not be able to run you through a full training, they might be able to give you access to a desk, which would be very helpful when going through the manual and tutorials.

Derek also mentioned a few online resources. Here are a few more links, which you might find helpful along those lines:

MA Lighting's tutorial playlist on YouTube (they have other videos, as well):
YouTube - MALightingInt's Channel

On-line manuals for grandMA2, grandMA3D, et al. (including mobile optimized versions):
grandMA2 Help Center

The ma-share forum (a very active community of MA users):
MA-share.net

If you don't have a chance to get in front of a proper console, you can certainly download grandMA onPC and grandMA 3D from the Downloads section of our website and familiarize yourself with the software and operation of the console in absence of the hardware. Both of these are 100% free (you just can't output DMX with them alone).

If anyone else out there is interested in grandMA2 training, we have a sign-up sheet at our website. We do our best to accommodate everyone. But as in this case, we can't always meet every schedule.

- Joe Cabrera ][
Director of Software Support and Development
A.C.T Lighting, Inc.
MA Lighting of North America
ACT Lighting

I know Joe, thanks for trying though and thanks for the new resources,

I might need an operator and programmer for 2 weeks though, if you know anyone, starting sep 8th (load in)

Thanks again Joe

PS: Just for the record everyone, I did not book in advanced so the guys at ACT lighting did all they could to try to accommodate me.

It is certainly with regret that we were not able to squeeze you into a class between now and January 7th. Unfortunately, our training calendar does tend to fill up at least about a month in advance.

As Derek mentioned, the next best opportunity to get your hands on a console would be to contact someone in the area who has them. A couple of options might be VER, ELS, or Epic (if you fancy a drive out to Oxnard). Give any one of them a call. While they might not be able to run you through a full training, they might be able to give you access to a desk, which would be very helpful when going through the manual and tutorials.

Derek also mentioned a few online resources. Here are a few more links, which you might find helpful along those lines:

MA Lighting's tutorial playlist on YouTube (they have other videos, as well):
YouTube - MALightingInt's Channel

On-line manuals for grandMA2, grandMA3D, et al. (including mobile optimized versions):
grandMA2 Help Center

The ma-share forum (a very active community of MA users):
MA-share.net

If you don't have a chance to get in front of a proper console, you can certainly download grandMA onPC and grandMA 3D from the Downloads section of our website and familiarize yourself with the software and operation of the console in absence of the hardware. Both of these are 100% free (you just can't output DMX with them alone).

If anyone else out there is interested in grandMA2 training, we have a sign-up sheet at our website. We do our best to accommodate everyone. But as in this case, we can't always meet every schedule.

- Joe Cabrera ][
Director of Software Support and Development
A.C.T Lighting, Inc.
MA Lighting of North America
ACT Lighting

Hard to believe that Bob Gordon et al at ACT Lighting can't help. Find someone who has an installed console and see if they will let you come in and play? There's also the OLE, and Consoletrainer.com: Training and Resources for Wholehog and Grandma Consoles , as well as many other YouTube tutorials.

Thanks for the resources Derek.

I didn't know the show was going to use a GrandMA board. So I didn't know to book a training, unfortunately it was late for the guys at ACT to accommodate me.

Find someone who has an installed console and see if they will let you come in and play?

This is great advice. The rig will be ready to go, no setup required. I feel like this is your only option other than renting the console for a few days. I have been in several of the R&R clubs in LA from my touring days, but looking up the tech specs on the web sites did not produce any GrandMA's. But if you want to play with a Pearl there are plenty of those in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back