HES SS 575 CMY Zoom versus new Elation Platinum Spot 5R pro

Please comment and give your opinion on used HES SS 575 CMY Zoom versus new Elation Platinum Spot 5R pro. Considering they are about the same dollar amount if buying used SS versus new 5R Pro, which one should I consider further? No riders in question.
Thank you.

Do you need CMY or can you live with the 8 wheel colors on the Elation ?.

Normally I'd have easily recommended the Elation, except for the color system, especially as the Elation comes with a warranty, the SS probably none or 90 days maybe from a shop ?.

Get a demo of both, side by side, if you can. That being said, I'd probably opt for the Elation because of new optics, with the exception being if you needed a fixture with no fans. I don't say silent, because Studio Spots can get pretty loud if you move them at any speed.

Get a demo of both, side by side, if you can. That being said, I'd probably opt for the Elation because of new optics, with the exception being if you needed a fixture with no fans. I don't say silent, because Studio Spots can get pretty loud if you move them at any speed.

I'm not concerned with noise as they will be used in clubs with dance and rock music. Another concern is being able to handle rigors of the road. I know the SS are road-worthy, but haven't heard about the Platinum Spots.

I'm not concerned with noise as they will be used in clubs with dance and rock music. Another concern is being able to handle rigors of the road. I know the SS are road-worthy, but haven't heard about the Platinum Spots.

I've seen a couple come through, Granted it was the start of the tour and most were just being taken out of boxes to be put on the rig then into road cases. They seemed to perform fairly well. Talked with the LD for one of the shows and he said that they are still running. (the loaders weren't gentle either.)

HES units have a good history with the road we have some archaic Studio Colors (different lights I know but same company similar function) that we have sitting on a stool a foot off an ice floor (aka they get run into and it's a moist environment) and they still are very reliable. Elations I haven't heard great things about (see this thread: Done With Inexpensive Moving Lights, Especially Platinum Spot 5R).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back