Historical research on stage lighting

If I never set foot on broadway or even see a broadway show...I can honestly say I don't care. Phil

A good philosophy and one that I try to get across to all the up and coming LD's we work with in the NYC area, is that B'Dway is not and should not be the goal. This is a huge business, even if it seems like we keep working with the same folks and that wanting to be a Broadway designer is self defeating, as it's it's own little world in a lot of way's.

One of the interesting things I observed in the recent Local 1 strike on Broadway, was how the contract the IA members worked under, as well as the new contract, was so very different then the working conditions and contracts found in the rest of the US, even out here in Brooklyn.

It's the same for the LD's. The work they do is in a niche market, lucrative though it is. The design methods and solutions are particular to the location and not always applicable or useful elsewhere.

Thus for each of the designers we've seen listed, there are another 10 who've done equally creative work in markets not as glamorous as Broadway. Maybe those are the people we should be listing, instead.

My $.02

Steve B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back